Notices
Showroom Find you some "show" for your "go."

Aging paint or repainting

Old 08-16-2005, 07:12 AM
Special K

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aging paint or repainting

Hey Folks, recently I attempted to shave my rear emblem. Someone had jacked it, I had some filler left over and some fiberglass so I opted to shave. I had bought some exact match paint, but since my car is a 97, the original paint seems to have faded when compared to the new paint. It's only been a couple of days since I've painted, but it's fairly noticable... so is there a way to 'age' paint? Any type of matching paint is going to be off, so this seems to be one of two solutions. (I could also just get another emblem..... hmmm....)

Secondly, I've also been thinking that my car could use a fresh coat of paint. Would there be any problems with sanding off the clear coat (filling in scratches etc) then repainting over the colour coat with 1-2 layers of fresh colour and then clearcoating? I'd be using the original colour.

Thanks for any help/suggestions
Old 08-16-2005, 09:33 AM
delsol161

no, you can't age paint. the factory paint always fades like that, thus the dilemaa of colormatching...

you don't want to sand the clear off. you just sand it to give the new paint something to bite into. to answer your question, you can paint your car that way. you have to be very careful and make sure you sand the paint very thouroughly. spray decent coats of paint, not 2 lil light ones. you need to use a sealer and primer before you add the paint though. otherwise, it won't stick.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:33 AM
c_rogue69
wtf goes here?

Originally Posted by delsol161
no, you can't age paint. the factory paint always fades like that, thus the dilemaa of colormatching...

you don't want to sand the clear off. you just sand it to give the new paint something to bite into. to answer your question, you can paint your car that way. you have to be very careful and make sure you sand the paint very thouroughly. spray decent coats of paint, not 2 lil light ones. you need to use a sealer and primer before you add the paint though. otherwise, it won't stick.
you don't have to put down primer to make it stick. Primer is just to level the surface. The key to getting paint to stick is preperation.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:36 AM
94JR

My emblem was stolen as well and my car is a 94. I just got the entire back shaved and repainted the car for $800.
Old 08-16-2005, 11:05 AM
delsol161

Originally Posted by c_rogue69
you don't have to put down primer to make it stick. Primer is just to level the surface. The key to getting paint to stick is preperation.
that's untrue. primer does help to level the surface... but that is not it's only purpose. you should know, as a body tech, that primer is porous, like a sponge. it uses the pores to give the paint a good foot hold. no, you don't need it, but it is the correct proceedure.

so you already had it repainted 94JR?