Notices
Showroom Find you some "show" for your "go."

Detailing/Cleaning Question

Old 01-22-2004, 05:44 AM
Chuke

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Detailing/Cleaning Question

OK, I see alot of pics on the board with very clean engine bays...

I understand the need to clean up the bay, and I have completely detailed the cabin and exterior of my Civic...

What is the best way to detail the engine bay?

I would think that the best thing to do would be to pull the crap out that I can replace easily, and while I add upgrades (strut bar, valve covers, etc.) clean it one section at a time...

I want to clean up my bay, but am not sure of the best way to do it?

I don't want to spray it with a de-greaser and risk damaging the engine...

Anyone have advice for someone wanting to detail the engine?

Thanks
Old 01-22-2004, 07:51 AM
Mr.Badguy

Ancient Chinese Secret: Tire wet all over your engine bay. It wont hurt your engine and makes everything shiny shiny. Just clean it before hand so you dont get like dirt streaks. Thats more for shows though. All you really have to do is just spray it with some cleaner and just dont let it sit for too long and wipe vigorously with some clean towels. Itll get clean.
Old 01-22-2004, 10:10 AM
Chuke

So, the secret is using Tire Wet all over the bay...

What do I need to cover up, any bare wires or electronic parts?

Would anything get damaged from using a wet solvent on the bay?

Thanks
Old 01-22-2004, 03:59 PM
vassil3427

Originally posted by Chuke
So, the secret is using Tire Wet all over the bay...

What do I need to cover up, any bare wires or electronic parts?

Would anything get damaged from using a wet solvent on the bay?

Thanks
Some people dont like the idea of using Tire Wet on their engine bay because they say all it does is attract dirt. Spray the engine down with a tire cleaner or engine degreaser. Nothing should get damaged, just make sure your distributer cap is in good condition so there's no chance of water entering. I've sprayed down the engines in hundreds of cars where I work, never really had a problem except on old trucks....

Make sure your engine is somewhat cool when doing this...
Spray the engine down with cleaner, spray it off with a hose(not too aggresively). Wipe everything down in the bay to get all that extra stuff clean. After this you may wants to start the engine and let it run to evaporate excess water...

Then spray it down with tire wet or something like that(get one that contains silicone, it is absorbed into plastics better)

The tire shine stuff helps because it keeps all your rubbers soft, and helps keep everything from cracking. After you spray it down let it soak up for a little bit then wipe it down..Leaving a nice shiney engine bay...:thumbup: