Notices

Why don't you suppose Honda...?

Old 07-02-2006, 07:07 PM
sskhimura

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why don't you suppose Honda...?

Why does Honda not equip the S2000 with a bigger final drive from the factory, say a 4.7 or around there? Seeing how it makes such a HUGE differnce in performance, I bet they could sell a lot more if they did that. I don't think it would cost that much more on there part at all, especially after the increase in profit they would make from the extra sells. It's just one of those things I don't understand that Honda could easly do. Any takers?
Old 07-02-2006, 10:20 PM
dubcac
I

1. Gas mileage.
2. Not everyone that buys an s2000 is as much of a racer as you are.
3. The gearing is perfect from the factory.
4. Cruising freeway rpm and engine noise.

It's not that hard to comprehend.
Old 07-02-2006, 10:21 PM
AcuraFanatic

Same reason why it doesn't come with dual Apexi N1's and an aluminum wing on the back. Not everybody wants it.
Old 07-03-2006, 11:00 AM
sskhimura

Well the S2000 is trying to be a production "race" car, its main selling point is its performance in the way it handles and moves. It wont effect gas milage by much, there sure as hell isn't a noise in the Rsx S or the Integra R (DC5), which has a 4.77 final drive, by the way they both get excellent gas milage, and there gearing makes it better than the S2Ks'. So, still, Honda could sell a lot more of these cars becasue from last I heard they aren't selling that well.
Old 07-03-2006, 03:05 PM
dubcac
I

A different rear end gear won't help the s2000 sell better. It doesn't sell well because most people don't want a small, 2 seater convertible. Also, the USDM RSX and Integra Type R don't have 4.77 final drives. The USDM RSX has a 4.389 final drive, and the USDM B18C has a 4.40 final drive. I don't know about your car, but isn't it pretty loud on the freeway at 80mph? Imagine being 500 or more rpm above where it's at now, and tell me it won't be noisy.
Old 07-03-2006, 06:18 PM
AP2
Moderator Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sskhimura
Well the S2000 is trying to be a production "race" car, its main selling point is its performance in the way it handles and moves. It wont effect gas milage by much, there sure as hell isn't a noise in the Rsx S or the Integra R (DC5), which has a 4.77 final drive, by the way they both get excellent gas milage, and there gearing makes it better than the S2Ks'. So, still, Honda could sell a lot more of these cars becasue from last I heard they aren't selling that well.
You really don't know the concept of marketing, don't you?

Americans like torque, that's why they bumped it to 2.2 and it was propietary in the US for a while before the rest of the world upgraded to 2.0. Reason why it isn't selling well is because it's not an easy car to drive, what makes you think American drivers would like a 4.77 FD? Have you checked lately how fast people drive on the highways? If you were driving on an average of 70mph in top gear with that 4.77, you would be past 4k. Do you really think that's rational?