Honda-Acura.net

Honda-Acura.net (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/index.php)
-   S2000 (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/s2000-14/)
-   -   Spinout @ 90mph (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/s2000/165901-spinout-90mph.html)

Palayah8ta 11-26-2004 11:43 AM

Spinout @ 90mph

Ok so im going about 85-90, i switch 2 lanes to the right and when i get to the lane, i put my footdown, (5th gear) and i loose control. I let go of the steering wheel. and slam the brakes. i regained control of most the car, but i veered off the shoulder, and when i hit dirt, slammed right into the center divider. Now im new to the S2000. but is it me or is that veryy wierd. ive been driving cars for a looong time, ive drivin a porcshe, g35, IS300, 2nd gen rx7. this has NEVER happened to me b4.
Is there a problem with S2000's? or maybe just this one?

dustimus 11-26-2004 12:56 PM

was it wet?

Palayah8ta 11-26-2004 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by dustimus
was it wet?

Not at all, the tires were 3 months old. and i didnt jerk the wheel more than usual. it was slightly uphill. my only guess is that its somehting to do with the LSD?

kenton 11-26-2004 10:28 PM

How bad did it damage the car?

SECRET AP1 11-26-2004 10:34 PM

yeah, sounds like something must be wrong w/ the car...

:rolleyes:

Palayah8ta 11-27-2004 12:36 PM

The whoole left side of the car is damaged,(body) front left wheel assembly came off, rear left wheel has positive camber. Estimated $12K of damage. Sucks to be me.

I dunno, for some reason seems like these cars spin out very easily...

kenton 11-27-2004 12:54 PM

Insurance picking up that tab?

axemansean 11-27-2004 01:57 PM

Please kick yourself in the ass. What the hell were you thinking dude? Be glad you just hurt the car and not yourself or some others. And no these cars don't spin out easily, these cars spin out when in the wrong hands.

GenXer 11-28-2004 06:07 PM

You were "going about 85-90" then you were accelerating?

Normal roads with undulations in them can do strange things to you at high speeds. Before your car can finish reacting to one dip or irregularity, it can be into another one, setting up situation where traction is unequal and you lose control if you do something wrong at the wrong moment, particularly if you are not going straight. Were you familiar with the stretch of road? Was it interstate or other hwy?

Don't make the same mistake twice, you might not be around to post about it next time :eek:

Palayah8ta 11-29-2004 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by axemansean
Please kick yourself in the ass. What the hell were you thinking dude? Be glad you just hurt the car and not yourself or some others. And no these cars don't spin out easily, these cars spin out when in the wrong hands.

Wow u sound bitter. I wouldnt speak to anyone that way, unless i knew them. Im guessing u have experience driving on the track. But for some of us, test driving a car is the closest we can financially get to a track. but thnx for advice. the worst decision of my life. I let my love for cars and driving surpass my judgement and common sense. I have a serious problem.

I take this way to my GF's house at least 4 times a week. Im very familiar with the road. And i was pointed straight b4 i put my foot down to pass. I am familiar with driving a Rear wheel drive car.
Aside from that. I found out yesterday, the owner last year did the same thing, and his Insurance co. dished out $14k to fix it. he was only going 60mph. I dunno whats going on, but im definatly suspicious.

kenton 11-29-2004 12:42 PM

Sounds like it might've not been propery repaired and/or wasn't built correctly.

Palayah8ta 11-29-2004 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by kenton
Sounds like it might've not been propery repaired and/or wasn't built correctly.

did honda do a voluntary recall on there lsd's or anything like that?

dom93hatch 11-29-2004 01:13 PM

You don't slam on the brakes when that happens. Hope everything is ok, and drive carefully next time.

Bones45 11-30-2004 10:01 AM

maybe b/c you are a ****ing idiot?

Palayah8ta 11-30-2004 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Bones45
maybe b/c you are a ****ing idiot?

wow, ur a sweet heart. You cant tell me uve never went past speed limit...

The insurance co. is coving the whole thing. Thankfully.
Yea i regret slamming on the brakes. would i have just spun and spun in the middle of the road if i didnt?

bridow 12-04-2004 09:44 PM

get a bigger front sway bar and slow down...the s2k is pretty easy to spin if you arent smooth with your transitions(steering)

s2ktonv 12-06-2004 05:10 PM

Sounds like a problem with the driver! :p

Meeyatch1 12-06-2004 08:59 PM

Sorry about your accident my friend, but the wreck sounds like mostly 'user error'. When your car lost control at such high speeds, the LAST thing you want to do is slam the brakes and make the car shift its weight violently and get even MORE out of control. These cars can be tail happy when driven improperly, and I suggest that you sign up for at least one high performance driving school. The cost of it would be less than your insurance deductible, and may keep you from getting killed next time. Consider it strongly. If you have an S2000, you can afford at least one driving school.

hondatech 12-16-2004 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Palayah8ta
Wow u sound bitter. I wouldnt speak to anyone that way, unless i knew them. Im guessing u have experience driving on the track. But for some of us, test driving a car is the closest we can financially get to a track. but thnx for advice. the worst decision of my life. I let my love for cars and driving surpass my judgement and common sense. I have a serious problem.

I take this way to my GF's house at least 4 times a week. Im very familiar with the road. And i was pointed straight b4 i put my foot down to pass. I am familiar with driving a Rear wheel drive car.
Aside from that. I found out yesterday, the owner last year did the same thing, and his Insurance co. dished out $14k to fix it. he was only going 60mph. I dunno whats going on, but im definatly suspicious.

NO, it sounds like you don't know how to drive. S2k's are very hard to lose control of, I've never broke one lose on accident EVER. I've pushed them through tons of mountain passes and taken a 2000 and an 04 on to the track at sears point. It's pretty forgiving. Don't blame the car for your shortcomings.

PikkaGTR 12-25-2004 01:23 AM

well gald that nothing happened to you and only the car was hurt
still...grim to hear of ANY wrecked S2000s
dont feel bad though, could have been a big pot hole you didn't see
atleast insurance is taking the bill :D

Originally Posted by hondatech
NO, it sounds like you don't know how to drive. S2k's are very hard to lose control of, I've never broke one lose on accident EVER. I've pushed them through tons of mountain passes and taken a 2000 and an 04 on to the track at sears point. It's pretty forgiving. Don't blame the car for your shortcomings.

this sounds a little too much to me
some of us cannot afford to go around and drive a bunch of cool exotic/expensive cars around on a track

you seem to stand behind the fact that it's usually not the car but the driver's fault
well i agree up to a point...
but until YOU have taken a look at his car mechanically ...i dont htink you can make the assumption that it WASN't his car and it was HIM

flyromeo3 12-25-2004 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by Meeyatch1
Sorry about your accident my friend, but the wreck sounds like mostly 'user error'. When your car lost control at such high speeds, the LAST thing you want to do is slam the brakes and make the car shift its weight violently and get even MORE out of control. These cars can be tail happy when driven improperly, and I suggest that you sign up for at least one high performance driving school. The cost of it would be less than your insurance deductible, and may keep you from getting killed next time. Consider it strongly. If you have an S2000, you can afford at least one driving school.

I agree, sounds like driver error.....Cutting lanes at 90 mph your just asking for something.. A honda isnt a porsche. Doesnt grip the road like your european cars your used to driving around.

Your lucky you didnt kill anyone with that stupid manuver.
Hopefully now you will learn not to drive around like an a$$hole.

G-M-W 12-26-2004 01:43 PM

sounds like u got what u had coming

s2ktonv 12-26-2004 04:08 PM

YOu should of never made this thread buddy :P

flyromeo3 12-27-2004 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by s2ktonv
YOu should of never made this thread buddy :P

nice avator..lol..

Its like saying....I was taking a 90 degree turn at 90 mph and my car oversteered....why is that??.....

Hopefully this is a learning experience for him.....Glad he's ok.

wedley2 12-27-2004 01:18 PM

luckily my natural reaction is to get my foot off all the pedals and try to keep it staright.

not slam on the brakes...

flyromeo3 12-27-2004 01:33 PM

and to think someone thats been driving all these "foreign sports cars" would know this.

Dave-ROR 12-28-2004 09:53 AM

you seem to stand behind the fact that it's usually not the car but the driver's fault
well i agree up to a point...
but until YOU have taken a look at his car mechanically ...i dont htink you can make the assumption that it WASN't his car and it was HIM
I have to agree with you, but only because the car was in a previous wreck. None of us know if the car was rebuilt properly, it could have some issues making it more prone to oversteer (alignment issues, etc).

On the other hand, I can't blame the car for some mechanical issues either as those can be replaced/fixed by the owner before this happens.. that makes it the owners fault as far as I can see (if that was the case here that is, who knows what the actual cause was).

I think to just blame the driver, or the car, without knowing what the condition of the vehicle was and without knowing exactly what happened (for example, an oil spill on the road in the right spot could have caused this, no amount of driving schools will allow you to recover from a no traction situation at 90mph in 10-20 feet) is just as bad as useless bench racing.

Give it a rest and get on with more useful topics IMO.

Dave-ROR 12-28-2004 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by flyromeo3
I agree, sounds like driver error.....Cutting lanes at 90 mph your just asking for something.. A honda isnt a porsche. Doesnt grip the road like your european cars your used to driving around.

Your lucky you didnt kill anyone with that stupid manuver.
Hopefully now you will learn not to drive around like an a$$hole.

Is your definition of "cutting lanes" the same as his? He could just mean that he was changing lanes at a normal pace. If you are trying to tell me an S2K can't do with a 1968 Caddy can do I'd have to laugh at your driving ability, not his. European cars grip the road? Yeah sure, some of them do. A whole lot of them are no better than economy cars sold here.

He is lucky that no one died, as is any accident "participant", however accusing him of driving around like an a$$hole a) doesn't help anyone (except maybe your fragile ego?) and b) makes you look like an asshole.

Now I'm an asshole too, I'll admit that. But at least I can read and understand that without real details I certainly can't make a judgement about his driving ability based on the fact that he had an accident. The best drivers in the world get into accidents so go tell them how they drive around like assholes.

Dave-ROR 12-28-2004 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by wedley2
luckily my natural reaction is to get my foot off all the pedals and try to keep it staright.

not slam on the brakes...

I will agree that his REACTION to what happened was far from ideal :)

I just disagree that he HAS to be the cause of the incident in the first place based on a complete lack of information.

Palayah8ta 12-28-2004 01:41 PM

I know this topic is retarted, But when u freak out it happens. I was upset at myself. i dont know where u guyz live but 90mph is only 10mph more then surrounding traffic. The accident occured for a few reasons. One, im not a pro in the art of driving an s2000. obviouslly, but i also believe that there might have been some irregularities in the car. At that speed it couldve been the combination of alignment, incorrect tire pressure, unfixed frame damage. but all excuses aside, i F_cked up. U guyz act like u never ****ed up, never speeded, and have halo's around ur heads.
Its not like this forum has 20 important threads a day, and im wasting space, at least i got u guyz talking. i told my story, thanks for the advice/opinions. The car lost control after i had been going straight for a full second.. thats wierd to me. thats all im saying.

Bones45 12-29-2004 05:47 AM

do everyone a favor.

Buy a Kia Spectra and drive 45.

Dave-ROR 12-29-2004 06:04 AM

do everyone a favor.

Buy a Kia Spectra and drive 45.

How about you and everyone else stop flaming him with no evidence that he caused the accident?

Bones45 12-29-2004 07:26 AM

how about you and the rest of you people stop driving your wanna be sports cars like a$$holes and we'll call it a draw?

Dave-ROR 12-29-2004 09:04 AM

how about you and the rest of you people stop driving your wanna be sports cars like a$$holes and we'll call it a draw?

My wanna be sports car? Do you even know what I drive cause I don't recall posting that information anywhere in this thread.

I drive like an asshole? Please prove it. My one ticket ever is proof I suppose? Or is it just the e-thug way to talk about people you don't even know?

You really want to keep starting shit with me because I asked for you all not to needlessly flame someone on a lack of evidence to support your flames?

flyromeo3 12-30-2004 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by Dave-ROR
I have to agree with you, but only because the car was in a previous wreck. None of us know if the car was rebuilt properly, it could have some issues making it more prone to oversteer (alignment issues, etc).

On the other hand, I can't blame the car for some mechanical issues either as those can be replaced/fixed by the owner before this happens.. that makes it the owners fault as far as I can see (if that was the case here that is, who knows what the actual cause was).

I think to just blame the driver, or the car, without knowing what the condition of the vehicle was and without knowing exactly what happened (for example, an oil spill on the road in the right spot could have caused this, no amount of driving schools will allow you to recover from a no traction situation at 90mph in 10-20 feet) is just as bad as useless bench racing.

Give it a rest and get on with more useful topics IMO.

ohh ok, thats a different story then....Either I didnt carefully read this post stating it was wrecked before or I just didnt know.

Yeah it could be something isnt straight....maybe the frame isnt straight.

flyromeo3 12-30-2004 04:18 AM

As I recall, Honda places the s2000 in their "sports car category". Not sure how its a wannabe.

Whats your definition of a sports car?

motoguy128 12-30-2004 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by bridow
get a bigger front sway bar and slow down...the s2k is pretty easy to spin if you arent smooth with your transitions(steering)

My guess is that combined with a dip or bump in the road at just the right moment. You may have lost control from over correcting when it first started sliding and lifting the throttle abruptly at the same time.

If it was from a defective part, or from a blown tire or ssupension failure.... it should be evident at the repair shop.

ThE B MaN 03-31-2005 08:35 PM

they are that unstable?? man... maybe i dont want...

wow... well right now I own a 99 mitsubishi 3000GT SL, which is a FWD... its pretty heavily modded and is putting out around 240 horses or so, and I have various suspension mods including stiff lowering springs, huge front and rear sway bars, and front and rear strut bars.

I have been thinking very hard about selling it to get an S2000, I mean I LOVE the way the 3000 looks, and its a blast on the backroads, but I just want something else...

I have driven and modded various cars, my first beater was an 84 chevy scottsdale, since then ive owned a 96 Z28, pretty well modded, a 97 camaro RS convertible, and the car I have now. Ive also had a cavalier, talon, eclipse, but those arent enuff car to even count IMO.

Id like to think I am a decent driver, but if the S2000's rear wheels are that finicky, I may have to think twice... because honestly, I drive like a deranged idiot, and love it. Although in my own defense I am pretty calm on the straight streets, its the backroads that I go nuts on.

Now flame me all you want but I drive going 90mph almost every day on the backroads, which is where I get my kicks, Id be a lost puppy without those backroads, and I absolutely LOVE the stability of my car, theres no second guessing it, I never have to worry about me losing control, I always feel and know that there is plenty of leeway left in the suspension. Am I going to have this same confidence with the S2000? I dont want a car that I cant go crazy with on the backroads and have to worry about losing control of the car...

I mean I know a 3000gt is a pretty decent car, but I dont see how it could be better than something as modern and advanced as an S2000....can someone give me some more feedback on exactly how hard you can push this car before it loses it, and can u feel it coming? I simply HAVE to have something I can push around the turns going 70-80 and still feel stable, yes I do leave my car some definite leeway, I never like to get it to the point where I know im really testing its limits... I just want to be sure if I get an S2000 that the rera wheels wont suddenly go out on me while im pushing it.

ThE B MaN 04-01-2005 11:23 AM

damn this board is slow to respond... well... any feedback for me?

RDN 04-01-2005 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by ThE B MaN
wow... well right now I own a 99 mitsubishi 3000GT SL, which is a FWD... its pretty heavily modded and is putting out around 240 horses or so, and I have various suspension mods including stiff lowering springs, huge front and rear sway bars, and front and rear strut bars.

I have been thinking very hard about selling it to get an S2000, I mean I LOVE the way the 3000 looks, and its a blast on the backroads, but I just want something else...

I have driven and modded various cars, my first beater was an 84 chevy scottsdale, since then ive owned a 96 Z28, pretty well modded, a 97 camaro RS convertible, and the car I have now. Ive also had a cavalier, talon, eclipse, but those arent enuff car to even count IMO.

Id like to think I am a decent driver, but if the S2000's rear wheels are that finicky, I may have to think twice... because honestly, I drive like a deranged idiot, and love it. Although in my own defense I am pretty calm on the straight streets, its the backroads that I go nuts on.

Now flame me all you want but I drive going 90mph almost every day on the backroads, which is where I get my kicks, Id be a lost puppy without those backroads, and I absolutely LOVE the stability of my car, theres no second guessing it, I never have to worry about me losing control, I always feel and know that there is plenty of leeway left in the suspension. Am I going to have this same confidence with the S2000? I dont want a car that I cant go crazy with on the backroads and have to worry about losing control of the car...

I mean I know a 3000gt is a pretty decent car, but I dont see how it could be better than something as modern and advanced as an S2000....can someone give me some more feedback on exactly how hard you can push this car before it loses it, and can u feel it coming? I simply HAVE to have something I can push around the turns going 70-80 and still feel stable, yes I do leave my car some definite leeway, I never like to get it to the point where I know im really testing its limits... I just want to be sure if I get an S2000 that the rera wheels wont suddenly go out on me while im pushing it.

This is an old ass post but lemme tell you this, he prob swung intot the lane too sharp and it caused the car to bottom out, instead of being calm about it he slams on the brakes. When you do that, in any car, at that speed ur begging the car to spinout, you gotta be calm and slowly let off the gas and steer the car to normal.