Notices

what it like having a 9000 rpm redline?

Old 05-26-2004, 10:27 PM
Mountdor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 9000 redline

I picked up an S2K in Sept. 99 and had it for a couple of years. I totally enjoyed the 9000 redline and the low end torque issue didn't matter. The thrill was in the curvy mountain roads and that wonderful windout sound. Bummer. Maybe I'll have to look to buy a used one instead of a 2004.
Old 05-27-2004, 05:47 PM
Civic2Scooby

Originally Posted by hondatech
hmm, as a tech i have driven many. I say it's fine as a daily driver but it does go if you make it. It's NOT a civic. It's scary fast at high speed but it does lack torque. Example.. It will do like 145mph in 5th gear at around 9k with one gear left. I have never maxed an S2k out. Anybody???

It's a little loud but not overbearing. I have driven one with a Comptech blower and mods. intake, exhuast, headers. It then becomes a loudass and you can get sideways pretty quickly.
I think the best quality of the car is the weight dist. and the suspension. It's setup from the factory is more than enough for a street car. It's nice. Very responsive.

I think it's one of the best convert. sports cars out there. (don't beat me up you porshe ppl!)

I am actually trying to still obtain a 65 S600 convert. from a friend to restore.
That car was like the forerunner to the S2k series made in the 60's in Japan. It has four carbs, DOHC and a high redline as well. I believe it was around 8000 rpm at the time which was unheard of in that era.

If you want more info about S600's check out www.hondas600.com
It has a picture of the S600 and the S2k side by side. It makes me wanna cry.
actually it had a 9.5k redline...
Old 05-27-2004, 10:14 PM
hondatech
Honda tech/eprom hackr

oh the 65 s600??? hehe yeah it's so sweet.
Old 06-25-2004, 09:45 AM
sobamaS2k

What's it like??? That's like trying to explain to you how it feels to make love to a beautiful woman, you need to find (a used) one and drive it, so you can experience the thrill of spinning that tach all the way over to 9k for yourself.

I've had mine for a little over a year now and I still stare at it and look for excuses to go for an errand (I work at home and it has 11k miles does that tell you anything).

No I haven't found the "low" torque to ever be an issue in traffic or otherwise, it's low compared to similarly powered cars but high if you are used to something like a Civic....

No, you don't HAVE to spin it above 4k, but it's addictive and you will find every opportunity to get the engine above 6k, no the VTEC engagement doesn't hit you like a big turbo, but its noticable and again w/ the addictive. If you want to hear the changeover more get a CAI or just take off the airbox cover and it wails like a Banshee at and above 6k, growls before that!

It's certainly not a quiet car but I've never been bothered by it, some certainly would, there is not a lot of sound deadening, and you get a lot of mechanical noise (gear and engine noise, plus road noise) inside the cabin mostly when the top is up and you have the radio down. If you are looking for it to be "comfy" you are looking in the wrong place, go find a used Z3.

This is a sports car, it's raw, direct, exhilirating. You feel the road a lot (which is a good thing for those that want it) and it rewards a good driver with superb handling. If you aren't familiar with RWD, especially pretty light, relatively high powered RWD you will need to take it easy and preferrably attend some driving courses and/or auto-x until you have the feel of the car, it's pretty easy to step the tail out and if you aren't expecting (and looking for) it you will quickly be seeing traffic that was behind you in a whole new light!

Good luck dude, go for a test drive! Travis
Old 07-19-2004, 04:56 PM
S2kDudeRick

It's like.....
Heaven!
Old 07-19-2004, 06:21 PM
Nathan1234
Domestic Driving Asshole

They are silky smooth up to 9K rpm... if you aren't looking at the tach you probably wouldn't think it was spinning that fast. But it's also uneventful. Vtec is not that noticeable to me. Not like an ITR, IMO. Power (and torque, of course) are extremely lacking at sub 4K rpm, but if you are used to economy cars it would probably still feel fast to you. In the higher RPM range (especially the last 2K rpm) it pulls very well. Fun car, more tail-happy than mine, not the best freeway cruiser (it really wants a turn to bite into), and quite loud (yeah, it's convertible)... but comfortable and decently accommodating for a 2-seater.

There. Now you have the opinion of an LS1 driver who rarely sees over 6K rpm.
Old 07-23-2004, 01:31 AM
PikkaGTR
Power of Dreams

Yeah i drove one and the VTEC engagement feels closer to a 5Th gen Prelude
its there but it doensn't pull as hard as even a GSR would pull, and definitely an ITR
low end is fine to me with light drving but higher revs are needed to make it goe fast
IMO the hardest Ass-Kicking VTEC i ever felt was test driving a 98 NSX
scary......nuff said
Old 08-25-2004, 07:47 PM
Uncle Fester

Originally Posted by syclone
high rpm and low end torque doesn't mix.. so to gain a little more low end, they had to lower the rev.
In addition to syclone's reponse, I would like to add the following. The F20C1 already has astronomical piston speeds. The 04 model is basically an F20C1 stroked out to 2.2 liters. 9000 RPM was still attainable with the new R/S ratio, but was not reliable at all.

To estoner102, at 9000 RPM, the scenery around the car literally blurs. Like what's in my peripheral vision blurs out. All I see if the road in front of me. You are so focused. You can't even think about anything else except what you are doing. And the sound! I could have the stereo turned up all the way, and when I redline a gear, I don't even hear it. It's like the sound of the engine is coming from within. Now add the feeling of top down motoring on a beautiful, sunny day... It's true automotive nirvana. 2 liters of Japan's finest.
Old 08-30-2004, 03:57 AM
meddyteggy

my 915.0 lx mustang has a shitload of torque and is better than a honda!
Old 08-30-2004, 09:58 AM
TeHJuSTiN
NAM #0001

Originally Posted by meddyteggy
my 915.0 lx mustang has a shitload of torque and is better than a honda!
Ban

Quick Reply: what it like having a 9000 rpm redline?