Notices

JDM brake duct installation?

Old 07-03-2003, 07:40 PM
mikEy type-S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by import-tooner
I have been seeing these on ebay lately for around 120 shipped. I still really want some but you guys need to talk me into them or something.
(mikey, your sig is tight!)
thanks! i'm really glad i got the brake ducts...it really finishes off the front for me since i don't have fogs...DO IT!
Old 07-03-2003, 08:02 PM
blackandred

I heard they're only functional on the Japanese model they were intended to go on. I saw a picture on ClubRSX of a guy who had them installed on an RSX and it looked like they just directed the air right into the fender liner. You might want to search ClubRSX on this topic. I think you might have to extend the ducting and cut into the fender lining to actually duct air to the rotors; otherwise...it's just for looks. But don't quote me on that!
Old 07-03-2003, 09:05 PM
mikEy type-S

Originally posted by blackandred
I heard they're only functional on the Japanese model they were intended to go on. I saw a picture on ClubRSX of a guy who had them installed on an RSX and it looked like they just directed the air right into the fender liner. You might want to search ClubRSX on this topic. I think you might have to extend the ducting and cut into the fender lining to actually duct air to the rotors; otherwise...it's just for looks. But don't quote me on that!
when i installed my brake ducts i did cut a hole in the fender liner so the air can be directed to the rotors. i'm not sure if it's as functional on the type s as it is on the type r...
Old 07-20-2003, 07:00 PM
Sirpopealot
All Around Swell Guy

First of all the brake ducts are very much functional when installed correctly. I make hard core mountain road runs from time to time and can vouch for the effectivness of the brake ducts. On one run the guys without the ducts were experiencing brake fade by lunch time and one even had smoke boiling out of the wheel wells while us brake duct guys had no issues at all. Now, do they really matter on around town, normal driving... nope. If you are going to drive the RSX-S like it's meant to be driven the brake ducts are for you.

Second, the install is easy and stright forward. Remove the bumper, install the two grills on the back of the bumper cover in the pre-marked locations...

Then install the right and left ducts...

You must cut out a place for the air to pass through the wheel well lining but once again, the locations are already marked from the factory. Just use an exacto-knife and make the cuts on the template already on your wheel well, how much easier can you get?

If you drive hard you will be rewarded by installing the brake ducts. I should tell you that the left brake duct will absolutely interfere with a cold air intake install. I have stayed with an SRI and I have a Suncaost Creations Ram Air hood on the way to provide freah air.