Notices

Severe or normal maintenance?

Old 04-22-2003, 02:07 PM
ipierago

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Severe or normal maintenance?

My Acura service rep tells me that almost all owners should be on the severe maintenance schedule. The only way to qualify for normal conditions is to "always drive on a track in sunny 80deg weather after warming up at least 4 min". He also said that there is an addendum to the manual which recommends more frequent oil changes.

This is a direct contradiction to the user manual. The severe conditions it describes are very grueling. The manual even states "Following the 'severe guidelines' won't help your Acura unless you really do drive under those conditions. Many vehicle owners waste time, money and oil for unnecessary oil changes, for example." I also could not find any mention of an addendum on the Acura website which lists a maintenance schedule identical to the manual I have.

Sounds like I'm being fed a line. Should I listen to my service rep or the manual?

How can I reconfigure the maintenance light to illuminate according to the "normal" schedule? My service rep tells me it was factory set to the "severe" schedule.

- Ian
Old 04-22-2003, 02:10 PM
Randy12vp

If you follow the severe schedule you'll at least be prepared for worst case scenario if it should arrise. At least you'll have peace of mind knowing that your vehicle is being properly maintained.
Old 04-22-2003, 02:14 PM
ipierago

Default the manual

Randy,

Thanks for the reply.

According to the manual, my car will be properly maintained on the normal schedule. It even states ---

"Following the 'severe guidelines' won't help your Acura unless you really do drive under those conditions."

- Ian
Old 04-22-2003, 02:22 PM
Randy12vp

Better to be safe than sorry.
Old 04-22-2003, 06:22 PM
honda_pilot
DeeCeeFo'

Originally posted by Randy12vp
If you follow the severe schedule you'll at least be prepared for worst case scenario if it should arrise. At least you'll have peace of mind knowing that your vehicle is being properly maintained.

Originally posted by Randy12vp
Better to be safe than sorry.
Disagree. Its just like saying better waste money just in case...

If I were you man I would make sure that rep reads a book and goes back to Acura training. Don't let them toss you around thinking you know nothing, go there and demand to be scheduled for 'normal' maintnance and reconfigure the ECU as such...keep us posted.
Old 04-22-2003, 07:31 PM
K20AMUGENPOWER

The more you bring your car in for service the more money the dealership makes. Go with the manual.
Old 04-23-2003, 02:23 AM
Randy12vp

That's a better reason to service your vehicle yourself.
Old 04-24-2003, 10:33 AM
ipierago

Default normal schedule

Thanks to everyone who replied.

Based on the responses here, as well as the owner's manual and Acura web site, I've decided to go with the "normal" schedule. The "maintenance required" light is triggered by mileage and does not actually indicate a problem. I will just ignore it until I get to 10k miles.

- Ian
Old 04-28-2003, 09:37 AM
DelSolSIinMD
Le Grand Illusion

Ian, that guy - as I'm sure you guessed - is lying through his teeth. Maybe he was feeling mischeviously playful that day... maybe he doesn't know better ... maybe he was taught to lie during training.

Either way, save your $$$ for more important, and necessary, things.