Notices

02 rsx-s cel p0420

Old 04-17-2010, 09:43 AM
HondaHelpTW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 rsx-s cel p0420

Hello Everone from Tom in Colorado.

Just picked up a 02 RSX-S with 108K miles. Runs fine, CEL came on. Noticed some black soot build up in the exhaust tip (maybe running rich?). Temp gauge shows the coolant thermostat is working fine (cold for about 10 min then holds at midrange). Ive not checked the ex manifold closely, but there is no sign or sound of exh leaking.
- Ran the code, P0420 (Cat Conv Effeciency).. no other codes.
- Air filter is K&N, was real dirty, serviced it.
- Code came on again (within 100 miles).
- Replaced the upstream O2 sensor and cleaned the downstream.
- Cleared code and it came back on (within 100 miles).
- Replaced the factory cat with a DAVICO aftermarket. This cat seems to flow more freely than the factory cat.
- Cleared the code and it came back on.
- Cleared the code again....will see if it comes on again.

*** What to do next?? *** My wallet's getting thinner! ***

From other forums, it appears that the Honda dealer will always replace both O2 sensors and the cat (with factory originals) before trying anything else (about $2K!)...at 108K miles...can I expect the factory cat and sensors to last much longer? Other forums also indicate that the aftermarket cats flow more freely and can throw the code.

I've researched some possible causes and options. My game plan is to work it in this order:
1 - Code could be caused by aftermarket cat, install an angled CEL eliminator (from clubrsx.com). This is a cheap thing to try ($29+minimal labor), but may or may not solve the issue.
Clear the code and if it comes back on...
2 - Downstream sensor could be bad, replace (at about $200).

Anyone have any other recommendations? Thanks!