Notices

'05 Type - S

Old 12-13-2005, 05:07 PM
racerboy777
Turbo Volvo go..WHOOOOOSH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '05 Type - S

Hey Guys,

I currently own a 1996 Volvo 850 Turbo. I love this car, but becasue it is kinda old and has about 140K miles, i decided to look into other cars. Immediately i was drawn back to Honda/Acura. (I also own a 95 Accord with 250K miles) Right now i'm saving up for the down payment, then between the spring and summer of 2006 i plan to sell the volvo and get the RSX.

I dont do well with stick so, i practice on my friend's prelude. My friend is the one who test drove the rsx for me, and man was i impressed. As soon as we pulled off the lot he redlined it and chirped into 2nd gear. The car is so smooth and handles great. By now i must be boring you, so i will get to the point.

My volvo is turbo, and i just dont want to go back to a NA car. I know that the volvo and rsx are somewhat similar in performance. ( Volvo- 222HP 221TQ, RSX 210HP 139TQ) After i get the rsx and break it in, i want to turbo it.

Can i boost the K20 stock? Or should i build up the internals (pistons, rods, etc.)

Not that this will happen as soon as i get the car, but i just wanted some info, and some good companies that make good turbo kits.

Thanks,

Josh
Old 12-13-2005, 05:42 PM
chubbs7727

you can run a turbo kit in it with the stock k20. but if you want it to run better you should get better spark plus, exhaust, fuel rail. if your thinking about putting a bigger turbo set up pushing more then 8psi then you will have to build up your motor
Old 12-14-2005, 07:37 AM
RicoD
Pull my finger

Originally Posted by chubbs7727
you can run a turbo kit in it with the stock k20. but if you want it to run better you should get better spark plus, exhaust, fuel rail. if your thinking about putting a bigger turbo set up pushing more then 8psi then you will have to build up your motor
u wouldnt really need a fuel rail but a bigger exhaust system somewhere along the lines of 2 1/2+ or so would be good for a boosted car, something to manage the fuel air ratio would be good also, there are alot of options when it comes to dat do a search this has been covered a lot... turbo related question
Old 12-14-2005, 02:00 PM
crazy

If you'lre looking for a mild turbo definetly go for the Cybernations or GReddy kit.
Old 12-14-2005, 06:52 PM
SIR3099

It is cheaper to make your own kit. I can give you the list of parts you need.
Old 12-15-2005, 05:04 AM
sherwood
I missed Sean

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is it not fast enough stock?

if you are running stock in your volvo right now chances at the type-s, if you drive it correctly, will blow it away.

the difference will be in the get-up, it will take some time to get into it's optimal powerband, but once it's there it stays there and is very clean (much like the prelude, only faster)

turbo kits for the k20 are around, but before jumping into it I suggest getting it and getting used to it. It takes a good tune for high compression engine to run well on boost and you will void the majority of your waranty just by putting it on.

--i confess i'm still thinking about installing a turbo on my GSR, but then again it is way out of waranty and the money lost in resale is no where near as much as you would be seeing.

IB shmoo