Notices

'03 RSX-S: AC robs power, drops revs fast

Old 06-18-2005, 06:59 AM
Timmo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '03 RSX-S: AC robs power, drops revs fast

Hey all -

I have an '03 RSX type S that seems to have a perennial problem. When the AC is on, the power seems weaker than even what you'd expect (much more of a sag than on my '93 Integra). Also, when shifting, revs PLUMMET and engine sometimes seems like it will stall. Normal-speed shifts result in 'slam' when letting out the clutch.

New air filter (or blowing it out w/ compressed air) seems to help a bit, for a while. The car did not do this until ~ 20K (currently 32k). Dealer seems unable to offer more advice than the air filter.

Anyone else experience this problem? Anyone found the solution?
Thanks,
Tim
trule@toad.net
Old 06-18-2005, 07:18 AM
bluetwo
Relevance is irrelevant

No but good luck with it. Stick around and maybe someone can offer you some insight.
Old 06-18-2005, 07:00 PM
VTEC-Power

If it is under warrenty the dealer has to fix it
Old 06-19-2005, 07:33 AM
pUrExTc
殺生丸

Originally Posted by 4Banger69
If it is under warrenty the dealer has to fix it
if the dealer knows what's wrong with it! lol

wait...let me rephrase that. if the dealer wants to "know" what's wrong with it.
Old 06-22-2005, 04:01 PM
PikkaGTR
Power of Dreams

yeah have an independent shop look at it and get a quote
then get the dealer to fix it if its under warranty
Old 06-24-2005, 06:27 AM
Tankard

Have you recently had the a/c recharged? An overcharged a/c system could cause what you said. Throw some guages on it to be sure it's not overcharged.
Old 10-02-2005, 11:50 AM
Timmo

Hey all -

Thanks for your input on this. Thought I'd update and pick your brains again, if I might...

To recap the problem, the engine speed drops FAST when you let off the throttle (e.g., when shifting up) when the AC is on. I've put up with this all summer (October now), and had it in to the dealer's, who "could not duplicate" even when I pointed out clearly what the problem was . They wrote "no problem found at this time" on the invoice, in my estimation to cover themselves.

Notes:

- No AC recharge has been performed.
- I tried a K&N air filter with no noticeable effect either way. [Interesting aside--my fuel economy was nticeably lower with the K&N].
- A friend who works at an independent shop agreed with me based on my description of the problem that it was not normal, but would not be able to do anymore without charging me. The vehicle is still under warranty (~37k mi) for another year plus, so the dealer is the logical, though frustrating, approach.

So it seems to me either I am hallucinating and/or have bizarre standards, or the dealer just wants me to run out the clock. I plan to go to a different dealer when it is due for an oil change--if anyone has any ideas or suggestions to prompt them, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks again,

Tim
Old 10-04-2005, 12:27 PM
henrypeck

Since the dealer won't do anything, contact the zone representitive.
Old 10-05-2005, 02:41 PM
bigtoe22

I also have the 03 type-s. I have definitely noticed the lack of power while the air conditioner is running.

Even after installing an injen cold-air intake (which sounds and performs excellennnnnt) the power slip is very noticable while the air is running.

My solution: Simple... Dont turn AC on when fast acceleration or racing is ur goal, you'll only piss yourself off...AC units rob horsepower of all vehicles anyway