Notices

'04 RSX w/horrible brake sound - please help!

Old 01-03-2005, 06:13 PM
Nutcase

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '04 RSX w/horrible brake sound - please help!

Hey folks,

I'm new to the forum and am looking for some help.

I have an '04 RSX (manual tranny) that I bought new back in March of '04. At about 5000 miles, the car started making a really nasty clunking noise when I pressed the brakes. Here's the funny thing...the noise would only occur when I pressed the brakes after alternating between forward and reverse. For example, I could hear the sound when I pressed the brakes as I backed out of the garage in the morning. Then I would begin going forward and would hear the same sound when I pressed the brakes at the first stop sign. After that, there would be no more noise until I went in reverse again.

So I took the car into the dealer and they had no clue what was wrong with it. They ended up swapping out all the pads and the sound went away. Their theory was that I had gotten a bad batch of pads at the factory.

About two months later, the sound was back. Initially, it was exactly like before. But over the span of 2 weeks, the sound got progressively worse and got to the point where I didn't have to alternate between reverse and forward...I could be going forward and 30% of the time the sound would be there when I pressed the brakes.

So I took the car back into the dealer and now I'm getting a different tune. They're telling me this is normal movement of the pads and all cars have them (they kept mentioning the MDX). I have a strong feeling that they're feeding me a bunch of BS. If it's normal, why wasn't it there from day one? Why did it go away when they replaced the pads? How come none of the other cars I've owned have ever had this kind of behavior?

Has anybody else had a similar problem? According to the dealer, this is normal for the RSX.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 01-03-2005, 08:18 PM
VPUPPY

did they tell you its called 'brake click'? my teg did this before and it turned out that the brake pads were shifting inside the caliper housing when i pressed the brakes. there is a TSB about this and they will be able to print it out for you at the dealer.

the way to test for this is to take a business card, rip it up into squares, and place them on the sides of the brake pads between the the pads and the housing. if you do this it should shim up the pads on the sides and keep it from shifting when you are braking.
Old 01-03-2005, 08:48 PM
Nutcase

Originally Posted by VPUPPY
did they tell you its called 'brake click'? my teg did this before and it turned out that the brake pads were shifting inside the caliper housing when i pressed the brakes. there is a TSB about this and they will be able to print it out for you at the dealer.

the way to test for this is to take a business card, rip it up into squares, and place them on the sides of the brake pads between the the pads and the housing. if you do this it should shim up the pads on the sides and keep it from shifting when you are braking.
Thanks for the info!

No, they did not mention anything about a 'brake click' or a TSB. I'm convinced these guys are clueless. Do you have the TSB number or can you point me to someplace on the web where I can get a copy?
Old 01-03-2005, 09:13 PM
VPUPPY

sorry, i just grabbed the paper and its not a TSB so hence no number, my bad, but it is some acura technical article. it says specifically: "On any Acura, clearance between the brake caliper brackets and the ends of the brake pad backing plates can cause a clicking noise the first time you apply the brakes in a new direction of travel(such as when you back up and then drive forward and apply the brakes). This is a normal characteristic of the brake system." - taken from actually acura technical paper.

it then goes on the describe the procedure for the testing as above. i can scan this paper but it will not be until this weekend(home from school). the title of the pharagraph is "Brakes click when applied". let my know if you want me to scan it and i can email it to you. just send me a pm with you email in it and i can get it to you by sunday.