Notices
Professional Racing Formula 1, Indy Racing League, Speed World Challenge, etc.

Rexall Edmonton Indy Race Report

Old 07-27-2008, 09:30 AM
94civicEX
I got worms.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rexall Edmonton Indy Race Report

Edmonton, ALB, Canada - Jul 27 —
Circuit: City Centre Airport (1.97-mile temporary circuit) Edmonton, ALB, Canada
2007 Winner: Sebastien Bourdais (Champ Car race) 107.517 mph average
Weather: Mostly sunny, mild, 79 degrees F Fn. St. Driver Team Chassis Laps Average Speed/Notes 1. 4. Scott Dixon Target Chip Ganassi Honda Dallara 91 96.967 mph average, led 30 laps 2. 2. Helio Castroneves Team Penske Honda Dallara 91 -5.9237 seconds, led 35 laps 3. 6. Justin Wilson-R Newman Haas Lanigan Honda Dallara 91 -13.4009 seconds 4. 15. Paul Tracy Vision Racing Honda Dallara 91 -28.1462 seconds 5. 3. Oriol Servia KV Racing Technologies Honda Dallara 91 -28.7132 seconds 6. 1. Ryan Briscoe Team Penske Honda Dallara 91 -36.8816 seconds, led 3 laps 7. 9. Dan Wheldon Target Chip Ganassi Honda Dallara 91 -41.8281 seconds 8. 13. Ryan Hunter-Reay Rahal Letterman Racing Honda Dallara 91 -42.1294 seconds 9. 27. Tony Kanaan Andretti Green Racing Honda Dallara 91 -43.0732 seconds, led 9 laps 10. 18. Darren Manning A.J. Foyt Racing Honda Dallara 91 -43.3363 seconds 11. 22. Buddy Rice Dreyer & Reinbold Honda Dallara 91 -48.3526 seconds 12. 17. A.J. Foyt IV Vision Racing Honda Dallara 91 -50.1271 seconds, led 3 laps 13. 23. Ed Carpenter Vision Racing Honda Dallara 91 -57.5967 seconds 14. 7. Bruno Junqueira Dale Coyne Racing Honda Dallara 91 -61.1009 seconds 15. 20. E.J. Viso-R HVM Racing Honda Dallara 90 Running 16. 11. Enrique Bernoldi-R Conquest Racing Honda Dallara 90 Running 17. 12. Marco Andretti Andretti Green Racing Honda Dallara 90 Running, led 11 laps 18. 14. Danica Patrick Andretti Green Racing Honda Dallara 88 Running 19. 16. Vitor Meira Panther Racing Honda Dallara 85 Running 20. 10. Mario Moraes-R Dale Coyne Racing Honda Dallara 85 Running 21. 25. Marty Roth Roth Racing Honda Dallara 84 Running 22. 5. Will Power-R KV Racing Technologies Honda Dallara 72 Running (delayed for repairs) 23. 26. Jaime Camara-R Conquest Racing Honda Dallara 68 Did not finish - mechanical 24. 19. Mario Dominguez-R Pacific Coast Mtrsprts Honda Dallara 51 Did not finish - off course 25. 24. Townsend Bell Dreyer & Reinbold Honda Dallara 48 Did not finish - crash 26. 8. Graham Rahal-R Newman Haas Lanigan Honda Dallara 44 Did not finish - crash 27. 21. Hideki Mutoh-R Andretti Green Racing Honda Dallara 27 Did not finish - crash R - Series Rookie
Dixon Does It Again with Edmonton Win
Scott Dixon and his Target Chip Ganassi Racing team continue to "get it done" in the 2008 IndyCar Series, combined efforts for their fifth victory of the season Saturday at the Rexall Edmonton Indy. The win was the result of great race strategy - saving fuel early for a quick final pit stop on Lap 52 - and savvy driving in traffic as Dixon held off a strong late-race challenge from Helio Castroneves.
Indeed, it was Castroneves who finally "blinked", running wide in Turn One as the pair worked its way through lapped traffic, after which Dixon escaped to an almost six-second margin of victory. Castroneves recovered to finish second, but fell to 65 points behind Dixon in the championship chase with just four races remaining.
Newman Haas Laningan Racing's Justin Wilson, who won the Champ Car race here in 2006 and has never finished lower than fourth in three previous Edmonton starts, rounded out the top three; while Paul Tracy earned massive cheers from his countrymen with a charging drive to fourth after starting 15th.
This weekend 27-car Edmonton field recorded 10,003 miles in practice, qualifying and racing this weekend at Mid-Ohio, again without a single engine failure for the Honda HI8R Indy V-8 used by all competitors in the IndyCar Series.
Behind the lead quartet, Oriol Servia survived a tight battle in the final laps, including contact with Ryan Briscoe, to wind up fifth, with Briscoe sixth. Dan Wheldon led another tight group across the finish line, just edging Ryan Hunter-Reay for seventh. Tony Kanaan came from last on the starting grid [due to a spin and resulting engine change in qualifying] to finish ninth, with Darren Manning just half a car length behind to round out the top 10.
After six consecutive race weekends, and racing activities including the Indianapolis 500 for 14 of the last 15 weeks, the IndyCar Series now takes a one-week break before resuming Saturday, August 9 with the Meijer Indy 300 at Kentucky Speedway.
IndyCar Series Drivers' Championship Standings (after 14 of 18 races): 1. Scott Dixon
2. Helio Castroneves
3. Dan Wheldon
4. Tony Kanaan
5. Ryan Briscoe
6. Danica Patrick 505 points (5 wins)
390 (2 wins)
387 (1 win)
324 (2 wins)
296 (1 win) 7. Hideki Mutoh-R
8. Oriol Servia
9. Ryan Hunter-Reay
10. Marco Andretti
11. Will Power
12. Darren Manning 286 points
276 (1 win)
257 (1 win)
254 Scott Dixon (#9 Target Chip Ganassi Racing Honda) Started 4th, finished 1st, his fifth IndyCar Series win and first road course victory of 2008; 15th career win; extended his IndyCar championship points lead to 65 over Helio Castroneves: "We definitely went into a fuel-saving mode during the middle stages of the race, and that, combined with a fantastic pit stop from my guys, was the difference today. Helio [Castroneves] was very, very quick when he was running out front. But the Target guys nailed that pit stop and got me out front, and Helio wasn't quite as strong when running in my wake. I want to thank all the fans here in Edmonton. They've been fantastic, among the best we see all year. I can't wait to come back next year."
Paul Tracy (#22 Vision/Walker Racing Honda) Started 15th, finished 4th in his first open-wheel race since the Grand Prix of Long Beach in April: "This feels just like a win for us. Just a week ago, I was hanging out with nothing to do and really, not sure if I still had a career. What Derek [Walker] and his team have been able to accomplish in only seven days is simply amazing. And I think I showed that I still know what to do behind the wheel, as well. Hopefully we can build on this and turn it into a long-term deal for the future."
Jack Spurney (General Manager, Honda Performance Development) on today's race: "I think this was a great inaugural event for the IndyCar Series here in Edmonton, I was impressed with the size and enthusiasm of the crowd all weekend long, and I think Edmonton certainly showed itself in a very favorable light. Congratulations to Scott Dixon and the Target Chip Ganassi Racing team on another well-earned victory, their first road-course win of this year. Finally, a sincere 'thank you' to all of our associates at Honda Performance Development and our technical partner, Ilmor. This stretch of six consecutive race weekends was a severe test of both our people and equipment, and we came through it with flying colors."

More...