Notices

SERIOUS problem with the electrical system in my car!!

Old 07-09-2002, 12:17 AM
k.a.y

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SERIOUS problem with the electrical system in my car!!

Earlier today, it all started with my clock and dash gauges flickering on & off for no reason whatsoever. Then, when I parked and tried to start it again about a half hour later, my dash lights would not turn on when I clicked the key over twice. I tried starting my engine, and It started, but only for a couple seconds, then it would die immideately. It did this 4 times, then I gave up for a little while, came back about 5 minutes later, and everything was just fine. After parking and starting up again, the dash lights still didn't come on, but the enging started fine, and the lights came on with the engine. This is how is has been since, but the last 2 times I have started my car, the stereo will not turn on even after the car is started, but there is still constant power running to it, because after I flip the face down, the eject button is lit up and it will eject the CD, but then it will go totally dead, and refuse to accept any CDs due to no power. I checked all the grounds and power wires coming off the batterey, and they are all very solid. What could be causing this!?!? Please help if you have taken the time to read this. Sortty it took so long to explain!
Old 07-09-2002, 01:35 PM
RenieLude
formerly PreludeChick89

me thinks it's the alternator.. but it could be something electrical...
Old 07-09-2002, 06:16 PM
fastball
A little chin music

Location: Cleveland, Ohio - Rock 'n Roll capitol of the World

If you can drive to your closest service station, have them do a load test on the electrical, that will tell you whether it's the battery, alternator, both, or neither. If you can't drive it, start with the basics of trouble shooting..... do your dome lights come on when you open the door? How 'bout headlights? If you have a meter, just check the voltage on your cig lighter with the engine off. Then check it while starting the engine.... does it dip drastically under load? It should not dip below 11, and then at high idle (if everything is good) it should jump to 14. Any further questions please post them, and I'll try to guide you through the best I can. Oh, yeah... it would help if I knew your year, model, and mileage.
Old 07-09-2002, 10:58 PM
k.a.y

I have a '93 SI with 150,000 miles on it. I am taking it to my mechanic on Thursday so that he can run an electrical diagnostic.
Old 07-11-2002, 08:10 AM
Dunbar

It could also be the ignition switch, Honda is doing a recall, check your VIN to see if it applies.
Old 07-11-2002, 09:00 AM
THATPRELUDEGUY
I suck!

Originally posted by Dunbar
It could also be the ignition switch, Honda is doing a recall, check your VIN to see if it applies.
That's only for the 5th Gen's, he has a 4th Gen.
Old 07-12-2002, 05:40 PM
k.a.y

Yup, it was my ignition switch.
Old 07-12-2002, 11:47 PM
silverbulletchk

mine did that ti me once ... and never again
Old 07-13-2002, 05:35 AM
Dunbar

Ha, ha I was right Seriously though, that sounded like a switch problem. Remember, the ignition switch turns on all things electrical.