Notices

blue smoke at high RPMS

Old 04-23-2003, 10:03 AM
epoxy
Regulator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default blue smoke at high RPMS

i was racing my friend and he was behind me ( :fawk: ) and said I had blueish smoke coming out of my exhaust pipe.

The smoke came out when i punched at at high rpms and near redline.

I do need an oil change, but i've been good to my car for a while now so the oil shouldnt be too crude.

thanks in advance.
Old 04-23-2003, 10:15 AM
preylude99

the infamous running rich prob, mine was doing that with only 40K miles on it, I couldnt see it but people behind me told me when i hit vtec it came out, ive heard a lot of other people talking about it. A lot of hondas run rich from the factory but especially the h22, ive seen it happening on other peoples with as low as 30K miles, so its not something uncommon or a problem if thats what you mean..... THATPRELUDEGUY and a few other people on this board as well have noticed the smoke, dont know about the bluish color though, maybe that has to do with the oil not being changed. In any case though, that little puff of black smoke is normal in vtec if you are running everything stock.
Old 04-23-2003, 11:27 AM
epoxy
Regulator

nah...i should be running fine with a/f. dynotuned v-afc for that.
Old 04-23-2003, 11:50 AM
preylude99

oh you have the v-afc? cause the people I know who dyno tuned with that have eliminated most of the smoke while in vtec....but is it possible some areas of the powerband in the higher rpms were left a lil rich still?
Old 04-23-2003, 01:13 PM
94prelude_v-tec
Punk Rock

If its just a puff of black smoke in high rpm's your running rich. If its blue smoke your rings are prolly getting worn and letting oil past. I have seen this happen to my friends civic at first it was only high rpm then it finally got worse and smoked all the time. You should not race your car anymore unless you want to rebuild it in the near future.
Old 04-23-2003, 01:51 PM
drift
Flaccid Member

bluish smoke is oil.

go get a compression test done. it could be as simple as valve seals, or it could be scored cylinder liners.
Old 04-23-2003, 01:54 PM
preylude99

lets hope its not the rings..... when you say its due for an oil change, how due? I remember on my civic when I let it go a long time w/o an oil change people would tell me it was blowing smoke out at higher rpms, changed the oil and it went away, they didnt say if it was blue or not though.....
Old 04-23-2003, 03:31 PM
fastball
A little chin music

Location: Cleveland, Ohio - Rock 'n Roll capitol of the World

H22's will smoke a little when you hit VTEC. They all do, they all have since 1992. When I don't hit VTEC, I don't smoke at all. When I do, I can see a little black smoke. If you are getting blue smoke and alot of it, I'd start checking the oil. You should not be using any more than a quart per oil change. This is a normal thing for these engines. Just don't make a habit of hitting high rpm with low oil. Of course, if it gets low enough VTEC should not engage.
Old 04-23-2003, 04:11 PM
preylude99

yea thats what I also forgot to ask, how high is your oil level currently when you are hitting vtec? It may be enough to engage it but the h22's are very meticulous when it comes to oil level.....