Notices

Is this true?

Old 04-18-2003, 02:37 PM
preylude99

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this true?

Hey guys, I read this on the h22 forums and wanted to know if it was true, sounds too good to be true, but the guy said it happened on his car and the valves did not bend, here is what he said..........

HERE IS A FACT EVERY H22A4 OWNER NEEDS TO KNOW. IF YOUR TIMING BELT COMES OFF AND YOU ARE RUNNING ON YOUR PRIMARY LOBES YOUR VALVES WILL NOT CONTACT YOUR PISTONS. THIS WILL ONLY OCCUR IF YOU ARE IN VTEC IN WHICH CASE YOU WILL HAVE A BUTTLOAD OF BENT VALVES. I KNOW THIS FOR FACT. I HAVE VERIFIED IT ON MY OWN H22A4. THIS WILL ONLY APPLY TO CAMS WITH FACTORY SPEC PRIMARY LOBES.

you guys think this is true or not?
Old 04-18-2003, 03:29 PM
94prelude_v-tec
Punk Rock

It will ruin any other honda engine! I dont think it matters if you are in vtec or not. My friends crx got f*cked up when his belt came off. I wouldn't take any chances.
Old 04-18-2003, 03:36 PM
preylude99

when did his belt come off though, while mid-rpms, high-rpms, idling or what? He SWEARS that his broke when he wasnt in vtec and that when he replaced the belt everything was fine, unless he is lying than that would count as experience. I know I wouldnt go so far as putting my trust in that unless I saw first hand, but you cant really control a timing belt breaking other than changing it when it is due, sometimes they break out of freak nature.....
Old 04-18-2003, 04:08 PM
94prelude_v-tec
Punk Rock

My friends crx isnt vtec and it was in mid rpms
Old 04-18-2003, 04:58 PM
TidusBlue
Long Lost Lurker

ok, so your friend obviously doesn't have an H22A4... so you really have no clue if this is true or not.
Old 04-18-2003, 05:05 PM
93accordEX

well are you gonna like not change your timing belt and just always drive at low rpms? i mean i dont see how this would affect any decisions you are going to make, but I think it could still mess everything even when not in vtec, just some people get lucky. I know someone whos timing belt broke and the car was fine. that doesnt mean that that engine is always going to be fine when the timing belt goes.
Old 04-18-2003, 05:19 PM
preylude99

oh I know, thats what I am saying, every situation is isolated, and there is nothing I really should do, or would want to do to test this, like not changing the belt to see if its true lol. I change the belt on time no matter what, even when I have owned non-interference toyota engines just for the sake of changing it. The only reason I wanted to know is because it would be kind of cool to know that nothing would happen should the belt ever break at low rpms.....
Old 04-18-2003, 08:55 PM
fastball
A little chin music

Location: Cleveland, Ohio - Rock 'n Roll capitol of the World

Interference engines are a gamble on the belt. I'll be changing mine soon as I can get a water pump (I can get my genuine Honda parts for cost so I'll wait -- it's on backorder). I have 80,000 miles on it. I don't want to wait untill it's too late. I suppose if you were under 3000 rpm and it broke there may be no serious damage. But that's not a claim I'd stake. If you look at a cutout diagram of our engine, you will see how the whole timming and when the pistons are in the 1st cycle with the valves open for intake, there's no room for anything. Those belts tie everything together. Sort of like the conductor of an orchestra. Take him away half way through a performance and see what happens.