Notices

Help, Check Engine light on after install of High-Flow Cat

Old 04-16-2003, 05:35 PM
silverbullitt

Default Help, Check Engine light on after install of High-Flow Cat

Hey Guys, I just installed a High-Flow catalytic Converter on my Lude, and now my check engine light has come on. I have a 5th gen lude, is there any way I can turn this off permanently, or is there a part or company I can contact that makes a part that will trick the ECU inot thinking my car has a factory cat on it?
Old 04-16-2003, 09:23 PM
preylude99

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well I dont know a lot in that area, but I talked to a guy at a shop who did stuff like that on hondas/acuras, and said that he knew how to trick the o2 sensors by putting a resistor between them to make them think they were getting the correct power. Since the o2 sensor is plugged into your cat, than that is the most logical reason why the check engine light is on. It could have just tripped the check engine light inadvertantly with the new install, thats why before you should look into solutions, try resetting your ECU by pulling your negative terminal off on the battery, or the clock fuse in the engine bay fuse box. If the problem is still there than the check light will come back on, if its gone then the check light will stay off, also, is your check engine light still on? If so do you know how to pull it to where you can find out exactly what the code is? If you dont know Ill tell you how...... Also, did you do the install or someone else? Make sure the O2 sensor is screwed in fully and correctly.
Old 04-17-2003, 02:57 PM
silverbullitt

Originally posted by preylude99
well I dont know a lot in that area, but I talked to a guy at a shop who did stuff like that on hondas/acuras, and said that he knew how to trick the o2 sensors by putting a resistor between them to make them think they were getting the correct power. Since the o2 sensor is plugged into your cat, than that is the most logical reason why the check engine light is on. It could have just tripped the check engine light inadvertantly with the new install, thats why before you should look into solutions, try resetting your ECU by pulling your negative terminal off on the battery, or the clock fuse in the engine bay fuse box. If the problem is still there than the check light will come back on, if its gone then the check light will stay off, also, is your check engine light still on? If so do you know how to pull it to where you can find out exactly what the code is? If you dont know Ill tell you how...... Also, did you do the install or someone else? Make sure the O2 sensor is screwed in fully and correctly.
ok, I had Meineke isntall the cat for me, it is a Random Technology High-Flow Cat (top of the line). I have reset the ECu several times and it just comes back on. Yes, I did the paper clip trick to check the ECU and it tells me inoperable cat. I know this isn't true casue it's a brand new catalytic converter, so I don't know. The only thing I can think of is that maybe they messed up the O2 sensor while installing it, so I may just have to spring for a new O2 sensor if I want it off.
Old 04-17-2003, 05:47 PM
preylude99

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like either they messed up the o2, or its not properly plugged in..... also, some cats will cause the CEL light to come on, there are some shops like I said, who know how to trick the o2 sensors into thinking everything is stock w/a resistor....I dont know the exact procedures to doing that so you would have to ask someone who has done that before.....