Notices

Non-sh To Sh Tranny Swap

Old 04-05-2003, 03:53 PM
poohberry

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Non-sh To Sh Tranny Swap

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum.

I can get a really good deal on a type SH manual tranny w/ limited slip. I want to swap the SH manual tranny into my base model (manual) prelude.

I have searched several forums including this one with no answers, has anyone done this swap? Is it worth it?

If you have done this swap….

Is there anything extra needed to swap out the basic 5 speed for a Type SH 5 speed on a 2001 prelude non-SH?

Is it a direct bolt on?

Anything in particular to look out for?

Tia,
b
Old 04-05-2003, 04:03 PM
fastball
A little chin music

Location: Cleveland, Ohio - Rock 'n Roll capitol of the World

The tranny is not just limited slip. It has ATTS (Active Torque Transfer System) which consists of hydraulic lines, actuators, a different front suspension design and alignment, and a different ECM. I don't think you can just "swap" transmissions in the litteral sense. I own a 2000 base, and tested a type SH when I bought my car. It's more than just a tranny. In fact, I think the actual transmissions are the same mechanically. I don't think you should buy this to begin with. Whoever is trying to sell it either doesn't know what he's talking about or is trying to feed you a bunch of crap. There is no mechanical limited slip on the Type SH.... it is done by sensors, pumps, hydraulic pressure, and computer monitors.
Old 04-05-2003, 04:05 PM
poohberry

Thank You for the info I wont be attempting it then!!!
Old 04-05-2003, 04:16 PM
fastball
A little chin music

No problem. You have an 01? I'd keep it all stock to begin with. Worth more that way, especially since 2001 is the last year and only 11,000 were made.
Old 04-09-2003, 07:31 AM
j-bloc

fastball quick question

i'm looking at the last gen prelude, and all i find are auto preludes w/low mileage

would it be stupid and costly to do a manual conversion to these car? it is possible rite? also, how much do u think it would run?

p.s. i'm getting a non sh prelude b/c the sh's are harder 2 mod
Old 04-09-2003, 01:23 PM
fastball
A little chin music

I would not try an auto to manual swap. The ECM alone would be 850.00 or more unless you can get one used. Then all the time and money for the whole thing in my opinion is not worth it. Like anything, if you have enough money and time, you probably could do it. It would not be worth it, though. Not to mention, when you sell the car the value will be severely degrated..... remember, when the VIN number was stamped and the car was registered, it had an automatic.
Old 04-11-2003, 10:52 AM
silverbullitt

I have an auto and ahve debated the auto-to-manual swap for a long time, with parts and labor, most performance shops can do it for around $2500, but, like stated earlier, when you go to sale your vehicle your vin number and carfax isn't going to match up to your new tranny. I have seen some very clean conversions, and couldn't ever tell it wasn't a manul lfrom birth. But, I decided to just go with a Level Ten torque converter, which gives you a higher stall, and also provides some quicker and smoother shifts. There are other companies that provide services for Automatics to "beef" up the tranny such as JMO and different rebuild kits can be purchased to make the tranny virtually bulletproof, but I would say if you have the option to purchase a manul to begin with, it would be all the more easier and more beneficial especially when you start adding mods. The factory automatic just can't handle large amounts of torque, and the factory 5 speed will take alot more abuse, just watch your clutch and you should be fine.