Notices

TRUE Short Shifter for 4gen Prelude in stock *reviews inside*

Old 02-09-2003, 12:00 AM
4bidden

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TRUE Short Shifter for 4gen Prelude in stock *reviews inside*

Hey guys, most of you probably saw the thread I made a few months back about the shifters. I sold out really quick of the limited quantity that I first had made and have been sold out for quite a while. I am just now getting more back in stock so I am compiling a list for people who are definately in.

I decided to post some reviews that people posted over on PreludeOnline so you guys can see just how nice this shifter is. Most all of these are from the "Official Review Thread" in the 4gen forum over there if you would like to read for yourself. I'm sure someone here also from PO will verify that these are all word for word though. There were absolutely NO bad reviews from ANYONE on these. Here we go...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just received the shifter today in the mail. It was packaged very well. My first impressions were of the color, The pictures online do no justice. It looks more like a gunmetal grey than bronze, very palitable in any case. The welds are excellent and the whole shifter feels solid.

The install:

The install for this is pretty straight forward. I did not have any instructions and they really aren't needed. If you have the parts diagram from the Helms manual you are set.

If you have ever changed out your radio you know how to at least get the shifter plate out. I took the liberty of re-greasing the bushings while I was in there and I highly reccommend this if during the install. The entire install took about an hour and a half and I only got one bloody knuckel

After the install I was anxious to see about how far over to the right the shifter sat. To be honest with you I would not have seen any difference had I not been told about it. In all honestly the tiny bit it does sit over actually puts the shifter in a more comfortable position.

The Test Drive:

I used to have a Neuspeed adapter and I would first like to say, there is no comparison. With the adapter I had to fight with the shifter to get it into first but now it just slides into place.
On easy shifts it feels just like stock only shorter. When you want to speed shift this puppy really shines. It is completely smooth and there is next to no resistance. It is soooooooo much better than the adapter.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just installed mine after having it sitting in my backseat for over a week. All I can say is this shifter is amazing. It feels way more solid than the stock shifter, and when shifting (especially 2-3) the shifter feels as if it wants to go into the gear instead of you forcing it there. Also, every shift is ended with a very satisfying click into gear. This shifter is top quality... never have I been so happy shifting gears.

I did have to shave about 1/4 inch of plastic off of the underside of the console, but it was no big deal. I melted the plastic with a lighter, and then just scraped it off with a screwdriver. If I had a dremel it would have taken no more than 10 seconds. I did however trim it enough so that the top setting doesnt hit the console either. So now it is very easy to go from stock, to C's, to Race.

Thanks so much 4Bidden!

i just installed mine today as well. the install was very simple, took less than an hour. i used the instructions that 4bidden provided. the quality of the shifter is outstanding. my initial thoughts after a 10-mile test drive was: =) its amazing, it certainly cleaned up the sloppy-ness that was there before with the stock shifter. i would definitely recommend purchasing this shifter to any prelude driver that has never been completely satisfied with the oem shifter or if you like to drive hard. if you guys have any more questions on the shifter, or the install feel free to contact me.

If you havent gottan one yet, Order soon. I finally got mine in Saturday, after having it sitting at my parents house for a week. Had one of my friends (he has a MKIV Jetta 1.8T) come over and take some pics of the install. Very easy to do by the way. Anyway after we got it installed (have it set on the top spot) I let him drive it. he told me that on his way home he wished he could get one for his car . I cant get over how easy the 2nd-3rd shift is, all you have to do is push straight fwd with your palm and it slips right over into 3rd. There is also a solid feel when it goes into gear. you'll know what i am talking about if you drive with one of these

Just installed mine on the weekend and dam i'm impressed! the shifter is really nice...had to shave a little bit off underneath there, but that was no problem...it definetly lived up to my expectations...

it feels like that is the way honda should have made it in the first place...it's nice and smooth,and much more solid

i totally recommend this shifter to anyone, not just to reduce throw but just for a much more solid feeling, that is the main reason i bought this, and it's all i could have asked for!

even just going into first gear is smoother, lately it's been really sticky and sometimes just didn't want to go in, but seems like it's improved alot...i also regreased everything in the mechanism with moly slip, which i think is a good idea!

This thing blows any adapter away. I love this thing
4bidden you are the man. Even my friends are impressed.

Those are all from past customers. As you can see, it's an awesome piece!

Here are some pictures of the shifter. These pictures make it out to be a little brown which it is not. It is a gunmetal/bronze color....very JDM looking! LOL

The shifter is physically .5'' shorter than the stock Prelude unit, and reduces throw by 30-40%. There are 3 different settings that are easily switched between. The unit is extremely solid with beefy TIG welds.

The pricing for the shifter is $124 shipped for money orders/cashiers check within the US ($4 fee for PayPal).

I am currently starting a list of people who definately want one. I will start collecting payment beginning of this coming week (02/10). The shifters will be ready around the 17th. There is a limited quantity and I ship based on when payment was received. If you have any questions or would like to be emailed when I start accepting payment, please email me at 4bidden@cox.net. You guys can also IM me on AIM at forbiddenimports, if I have an away msg on, email me because I sometimes don't get my msgs off of AIM. :thumbup:
Old 02-09-2003, 06:01 AM
THATPRELUDEGUY
I suck!

Any ideas on when the 5th gen one is going to be done?
Old 02-09-2003, 12:36 PM
jtown

do you manufacture other parts? Got a website or anything?
Old 02-09-2003, 02:49 PM
4bidden

I myself do not manufacture these, a machine shop in my city makes them for me. I made the design, took it to them to get made. I do know have the know-how, or the thousand dollar machines to make these.

I do not have a website until my shop is completely up and running but if you would like any further info on the product, just ask, I'll be more than happy to fill you in.
Old 02-10-2003, 05:47 AM
RenieLude
formerly PreludeChick89

my review: bad @$$
Old 02-12-2003, 12:35 PM
4bidden

Originally posted by PreludeChick89
my review: bad @$$
Mike enjoying his?
Old 02-12-2003, 02:30 PM
4bidden

Here are some more pics I have of the shifter.....

Old 02-13-2003, 10:23 AM
clickwir
Floppy Death! noES!!!

Agreed. There's lots of people looking for a high quality 5th gen. This one makes me wish I had a manual. :slap: I really regret not getting a manual when I had the chance.
Old 02-13-2003, 11:01 AM
4bidden

The 5gen will be out sometime near the end of March....no worries.
Old 02-13-2003, 05:31 PM
vtecguy2

how much do one of these baby cost?