Notices

? about '96 Prelude with check engine light and fuel cutoff too early.

Old 02-02-2003, 07:44 AM
Barry WY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ? about '96 Prelude with check engine light and fuel cutoff too early.

A friend just bought a '96 Prelude VTEC with 67,000 miles on it. On the way back from Denver to Sheridan his check engine light came on. Also the rev limiter seems to kick in at 6,400 rpm, rather than at 7,400 rpm. Also, I can't feel any VTEC kick at 4,800-5,000 like my '93 Prelude VTEC has. Other than that, it seems to drive well and shift well.

We ran my OBDII tool on it and got the following:

$01 PID $01
Non-continuous monitors complete?
Catalyst: YES
Oxygen sensor: YES
Oxygen sensor heater: YES
EGR system: YES

Continuous monitors complete
Misfire YES Fuel System YES
Comprehensive componennt YES

Received from Engine Controller address $10

Emission related powertrain diagnostic trouble code DTC P1259

Injection Pump Fuel Metering Control B High cam/rotor/injector received from engine controller address $10

I don't know what this means.

We reset the check engine light and it stayed off (for now.) That didn't change the rev limiter kicking in at 6,400 rpm. Yes, the engine was warmed up when we drove it.

The car has aftermarket headers and exhaust.

Anybody have any insight to what the scan codes mean and what the 6,400 fuel cut off means?
Thanks in advance.
Old 02-03-2003, 05:41 AM
RenieLude
formerly PreludeChick89

if you'd do a search on all kinds of different problems associated with the check engine light. i'm sure you could come up with a solution rather than trying to find someone who knows what all those different codes mean... it's some kind of sensor whenever it's the check engine light... try to work with that...

do a search on just the internet in general about the check engine lights and what each code means.. then after you find that out i'm sure you can find the source of the problem...
Old 02-06-2003, 07:48 PM
wadzii
fear the dark side

stick a paper clip in the jumper for the check engine light and tell us what code its throwing..... that mess is usless to me b/c i dont have the books that came w/the scanner, everyone is different. the connector is blue with 2 wires and is behind the center console.
Old 02-06-2003, 07:51 PM
Barry WY

I found P1259 on an NSX list as a VTEC controller error. That would fit with the symptoms.
Old 02-06-2003, 08:37 PM
94prelude_v-tec
Punk Rock

when your car is cold it should rev limit at about 6400 rpm and your v-tec wont open either so maybe the temp sending unit is bad.
Old 02-07-2003, 04:32 AM
drift
Flaccid Member

check your oil level
Old 02-12-2003, 05:08 PM
Stage5Lude

i have a similar problem like that before....too
my's a 96 vtec as well.. .first thing i checked was my spark plugs.
which was the problem... u might want to check that first... if ur code is telling its misfiring... (u have to replace that anyways..with that kind of miles on ur car) then if that's not the problem, check ur spark plug wires... ) 3. after that check ur ignition coil.... , obd2 on a 96 is not a real on obd2 like that 97-2001, if ur obd2 has a problem it doesn't really kick u to limp mode
cause i had a straight pipe at the track and no cat it didn't kick me to limp mode only the check light came on. for 97-01 its a whole different story... (limp mode). good luck with ur lude
Old 02-12-2003, 06:16 PM
drift
Flaccid Member

Originally posted by Stage5Lude
obd2 on a 96 is not a real on obd2 like that 97-2001, if ur obd2 has a problem it doesn't really kick u to limp mode
cause i had a straight pipe at the track and no cat it didn't kick me to limp mode only the check light came on. for 97-01 its a whole different story... (limp mode). good luck with ur lude

i have a track pipe on my 97 Prelude, and it doesnt put me into limp mode.
Old 02-13-2003, 08:18 AM
Barry WY

My own car is a '93 VTEC, stock, with 56K miles. A friend of mine here in Sheridan bought this '96 VTEC in Denver. On his way home (400 miles) from the Denver used car dealer the CEL came on. Since I have an OBDII scanner for my S2000, I scanned it for him.

My car is not for sale. I bought it new in October, 1992 and I'm even more enamoured with it than I've ever been before.

I looked at an '03 V6 6 Speed Accord today. The G4 Prelude is sooooooooooo good lookin', and the brand new Accord pales by comparison. Even the RSX-S, as far as I can tell from pictures, looks taller, boxier and less sleek than the G4 'Lude.