Notices

WHat's the Difference?

Old 01-15-2003, 08:00 PM
jeems
i be slow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WHat's the Difference?

WHat is really the difference between the Base 97 and newer prelude and the SH?
Old 01-16-2003, 09:57 AM
pSiRacer92
Banned

what? the SH, as I like to say, stands for Superior Handling. Then engine is the same
Old 01-16-2003, 10:38 AM
clickwir
Floppy Death! noES!!!

It has some extra options... the Base model is lighter and faster and much easier to get parts for.
Old 01-16-2003, 12:37 PM
fastball
A little chin music

Location: Cleveland, Ohio - Rock 'n Roll capitol of the World

Base and Type SH are exactly the same engine, transmission, body, etc., so I will list the differences specifically:

The Type SH has ATTS (Active Torque Transfer System) which uses hydraulic fluid pressure to transfer the torque between the front wheels. Sort of a pressurized fluid version of a limited slip differential, or posi-trac as they called it in the old days. There is a different alignment, slightly different suspension design, and a bunch of hydraulic lines running around the transmission. This system supposedly gives more RWD handling for a FWD car. I tested both when I bought mine, and could not find a difference untill I pushed it to about 90%, at which time the salesman asked if I knew what I was doing. They both use the same tires (Bridgestone Potenza RE92 205/50R/16). Other differences (not as important):

The Type SH has a standard trunk spoiler with LED, so there is no HMTBL in the back window.

Type SH rims are five straight spokes, cast aluminum but not polished. The base has five curved spokes, cast aluminum, polished surface. I replace mine with the Type SH rims..... look much better.

Type SH also has a standard leather wrapped shift knob, as well as courtesy lamps on the lower door pannels. In 1997-1998, the honeycomb grille was only on SH, then in 1999 they used it on all Preludes, replacing the two straight bars accross the grille section.

That should cover it. Any other questions, fire away!
Old 01-16-2003, 02:13 PM
epoxy
Regulator

hm.. search the forum also.. this question is asked atleast every other day.h:
Old 01-16-2003, 03:26 PM
jeems
i be slow

so these are the only 2 options for preludes of these year models? what do they have in japan?
Old 01-16-2003, 03:53 PM
fastball
A little chin music

Originally posted by jeems
so these are the only 2 options for preludes of these year models? what do they have in japan?
Yes, these are the only two options. 1997-98 models produced 195hp. 1999-01 models have 200hp. I'm not too sure what the model designations are in Japan, but I do know that one of the engine choices is a 220hp, and I think it might be Type R, but don't quote me on that. I don't follow the whole "JDM" thing. Hondas built for the States are good enough. Are you looking to buy one?
Old 01-16-2003, 04:41 PM
epoxy
Regulator

type s.. there isnt a prelude type R (any year)...

prelude type-s is a "prelude type-r"... i guess they arent a unique as type-r's. dunno...
Old 01-16-2003, 04:48 PM
fastball
A little chin music

Originally posted by epoxy
type s.. there isnt a prelude type R (any year)...

prelude type-s is a "prelude type-r"... i guess they arent a unique as type-r's. dunno...
Shows how closely I follow the auto seen 10,000 miles away . I don't know why people do to begin with. Can't buy them, even if I wanted to.
Old 01-16-2003, 09:28 PM
epoxy
Regulator

well.. if you had the chance to get a unique part that sets your car apart from most others, wouldnt you jump at the chance ? (including that usually that part is superior to a USDM part)

makes perfect since to me