Notices

trans fluid

Old 02-15-2009, 09:16 PM
jeff_falk2007

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trans fluid

what do i use in my m/t for fluid? atf or gear oil? what is recommended?
Old 02-18-2009, 08:11 AM
cruzalekz

gear oil my friend. you need a fluid transfer tool fill up the transaxle so dont forget to buy it.
Old 02-18-2009, 01:50 PM
F22B Prelude
Rachel Bilson

10w30
Old 02-23-2009, 09:10 PM
jeff_falk2007

how do you all feel about royal purple gear oil and engine oil for the b20a jdm motor?
Old 02-24-2009, 03:11 AM
pslsnakes
F#%K JDM, USDM FTW

Honda Manual Transmission fluid.

Or you can use GM SyncroMesh if you can find it...
Old 02-28-2009, 05:52 AM
A-series
v-card member alpha

Originally Posted by cruzalekz
gear oil my friend. you need a fluid transfer tool fill up the transaxle so dont forget to buy it.
No offense, but although you're knowledgeable about cars, you don't know enough (yet) about Hondas to be making those types of suggestions.
The fluid transfer tool on the other hand is a good suggestion, even though I prefer a funnel and tube.

Originally Posted by F22B Prelude
10w30
Originally Posted by pslsnakes
Honda Manual Transmission fluid.

Or you can use GM SyncroMesh if you can find it...
All three of those are acceptable. Best to use non-synthetic 10w30 if that's your choice as synthetic - most noticeable in cold weather - doesn't work so well with the synchros.

10w30 motor oil no longer has the same anti-wear additives (or not nearly as much of them) as it used to, back when Honda recommended that for their cars, in particular EP, extreme pressure, additives. Because of this you would at least want to change out the 10w30 more often than you normally would, or perhaps mix it with Honda MTF if the MTF by itself makes it a bit notchy for your taste.

edit: I believe the Friction Modified GM Synchromesh is what you want, if you choose that route. May be very hard to find and/or very expensive though.

Last edited by A-series; 02-28-2009 at 06:07 AM.
Old 02-28-2009, 08:29 AM
cruzalekz

whatever that works a series.

anyways i gotta correct you on your honda comment. i know honda coz i owned 4 of them. 88 ef, 92 civic coupe, 99 civic coupe show car and 95 integra.

you could use the funnel for atf since the dipstick hole is infront of you but i dont think its long enough to reach the transaxle filler hose thats why i usually use a pump type fluid transferer to fill up the transaxle with gear oil not atf.

peace
Old 02-28-2009, 09:47 AM
A-series
v-card member alpha

^ Just buy a funnel, get a suitable length and diameter clear tubing, so it fits tightly over the funnel (or inside of it, but it takes longer to pour that way) and then insert it into the fill hole from above, with the hood up. You put the car down off the jack stands first, after draining the trans., then fill it, so it fills to the correct level (assuming it's level ground, or close to it).

As for the manual transmission fluid, gear oil (actual gear oil, not meaning any sort of oil meant for the manual gearbox) is better than nothing at all, but I wouldn't advise it on a Honda/Acura trans. I'm not 100% sure how well it would protect, might do fine (as long as it's no thicker than a comparable 10w40 motor oil) but it won't shift nearly as well, and that's best case scenario. Never tried it myself, but that's what I've been told and have read.

P.S. and again, I meant no offense, you clearly know about cars (and apparently Hondas too as you pointed out) but a few of your suggestions have been off (more suited to other makes it seems), not that I'm always right by any means

Last edited by A-series; 02-28-2009 at 09:48 AM.
Old 02-28-2009, 01:58 PM
cruzalekz

as far as the fluid type, always follow what the manufacturer recommends. doesn't need to be oem just as long as its the same type as far as viscosity etc.
Old 03-02-2009, 02:12 PM
brettybaby

I put 10w40 oil in my 93 prelude and drove it to las vegas and back (from los angeles California). then I drove it to houston texas (from Los angeles california). It worked great. No problems with the transmission. Regular Castrol 10w40. Were talking about 3,000 miles.

Turns out, the oil change I got on the way made a huge mess Thanks to the local professional mechanic. That idiot did not put the oil filter on right and it leaked the whole way, and made a mess. I had to stop in san antonio texas to get another one put on correctly!

Last edited by brettybaby; 03-02-2009 at 02:15 PM.