Notices

just bought 1990 si...B21A1...:ugh:

Old 01-16-2009, 04:13 PM
jeff_falk2007

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just bought 1990 si...B21A1...:ugh:

having some issues.....when i push in clutch to start car it grinds/whirrs while turning over until i release pedal. it doesnt grind when i engage gears. my instrument cluster goes crazy. the tach will not work, the turn signal lights are lit up dimly, i hit the turn signal and my tach bounces with the "clicking", my temp guage doesnt read correctly. when i pull up the e-brake it all works normally until i use turn signals or turn on headlights. it was overheating when i first started it up the other day...i havent gotten around to checking the fluid level or if the thermostat is sticking....even if it is overheating at all since the cluster is going haywire. too cold to work on it around here. any help will be appreciated. i have little experience in operating clutches but know how to work on them...what am i looking for in the way my clutch operates fully? thank you again guys.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:47 PM
Spec R

it sounds like there was a fire under your dash. seriously. when i was in school, we had a lot of people come in with crazy symptoms like what you're mentioning, and it was usually a short that caused a bunch of wires to melt to each other.

is there a early 90s car alarm installed in there? if so, pull it out.

check all the fuses...like all of them.

my best friend had a 91 B21A1 prelude. that was his most favorite car ever.
Old 01-23-2009, 05:29 PM
VPUPPY

You could have a bad ground in your dash. You should get the shop manual and check all grounding points. Also check the alternator for correct function.
Old 02-01-2009, 01:29 AM
jeff_falk2007

i noticed a blue only color wire that comes thru the firewall running from inside and has a black round rubber guard on it looks like a 50 cent peice could that be something? check alternator wiring? isnt that the wiring that runs between the cam gears and the landing on the valve cover? what would i expect if that is the case? same symptoms as i am having with my dash...maybe a short in that harness? too dam cold to tear dash apart.......im having other issues with the engine itself...it sounds like a knock at higher rpms like cold idle around ~2000 rpms. but when engine speed is down after warm it doesnt do that and is variable at various driving conditions...oil smells of gasoline. i bet rings are bad due to the FRM cylinder liners and 198,000 miles. losing coolant as well with no leaks at all. filler neck on radiator has white/foamy bubbles inside while running, guessing a headgasket...is it worth re-ringing,replacing H/G and if the knock is just bearing wear, replace bearings and thrust washers....and sell? i bought for 800 bux kinda bums me out since i found another 91 si for 200 bux and in better shape