Notices

97 w/ POTENTIAL ODOMETER ROLLBACK should i buy?

Old 12-24-2002, 06:52 PM
SeOuLxK
Guppie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 w/ POTENTIAL ODOMETER ROLLBACK should i buy?

Snaps just found a nice ass base model lude for 12gs with "59,000" miles on the dial but did a carfax and came to find out it could of been rolled back, check dis out...

CALCULATION: POTENTIAL ODOMETER ROLLBACK

On 04/26/1999 the odometer reading was reported as: 48,000 miles
On 08/04/1999 the odometer reading was reported as: 22,579 miles

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This represents a mileage decrease of: 25,421 miles

Should i still get it? i need a car before i start school *two weeks* is there another way to tell if its been rolled back by lookin behind the cluster? f**k I really want this car, help dis future lude owner out :naughty:
Old 12-24-2002, 10:39 PM
THATPRELUDEGUY
I suck!

It's increased 11k in just under 4 years, that parts fishy. However it's possible with an owner that didn't drive it a lot. I need to look more closely at the car and talk to the previous owner before buying. I would really steer away if you think it's been messed with, it'll bite your ass when you go to sell it.
Old 12-25-2002, 12:09 AM
qtiger

A seller willing to roll back the miles is a seller willing to otherwise fuck you in the ass. Look elsewhere.
Old 12-25-2002, 04:05 PM
SeOuLxK
Guppie

yeah i dont think its a good idea to get that lude, i did find another 97 black on black SH with about 50,000 miles... Not to sure if i wanna get a SH though but i know for a fact i wont be gettin a turbo kit anytime soon but i do plan on getting a set of wheels, I/H/E, and a proper drop *struts everything* will this be too much of a hastle to mod an SH, ive been doing alot of reading but not enough to really decide if i wanan go with an SH :dunno: , I got till the 6th of jan so i hope there'll be more ludes available by then :|
Old 12-25-2002, 06:46 PM
Mr Hyde
Accord Forum Moderator

If it was rolled back once before, what's to say it wasnt again and that 59k is really 89k???

Run dont walk away from this one.

The TL-S / The 540i
Old 12-26-2002, 03:43 AM
clickwir
Floppy Death! noES!!!

However, never underestimate the ability of some garage mechanic to enter/read data wrong. Yes, 95+% of the time they are perfect and don't have any mistakes.... but a friend of mine had a similar problem when selling his car.

People would do the carfax report on it and see the possible rollback. When he wouldn't know what a rollback even was if someone told him... but he does know that one particular garage never could write down his mileage correctly.

He got screwed on the resell by a good $5k because someone else didn't really look at the numbers.

Yea, he should have said something... but he didn't think it would really matter THAT much. He thought it would only effect the particular garages records.
Old 01-01-2003, 11:21 PM
Jeice
One Rad Dude

You'll get ****ed in the end.

Find a Lude driven like it's the most precious thing in the world, one that's been taken care of - Not one that's prolly been ragged the hell out of by some idiot owner
Old 01-04-2003, 11:14 PM
SeOuLxK
Guppie

Aight i found a 97 SH with 40,000 miles at a Acura dealership, the sticker is priced at 16,995 i said f*** that so offered I 13,500 but they said no. Then they brought it down to 14,500 so my dad said f*** it and left. Should we go back and offer 14,000 for the car? its black on black and its clean What would you do? is it to expensive? Kbb asks about 15,000 but who knows...
Old 01-05-2003, 06:59 AM
clickwir
Floppy Death! noES!!!

most of the time, dealers will figure about 15-30% "haggle" room UNDER kbb. Anything above that is usually fluff. $10,500 to 12,750 is the range I would shoot for. He's probabally still going to be making a nice buck on that.

Just keep looking over the car and find things wrong with it... "oh well what about this here, looks like a screw is missing, is that going to cost me?" "hmm, I'll take 200 off for that just in case you have to get it fixed, but the car works perfectly fine without it... blah blah" For me, that seems to be the most effective. That and going at a very off time when you have a few hours and they aren't busy. Waste some of his time, don't let him get involved with someone else. Everyone will give their own oppinions on how to haggle. Those tips are from an uncle that used to sell cars.

Sometimes you can even squeeze a free CarFax report out of them. Anyway... I'd say aim lower than your looking for now... you'll probably reach a happy medium.
Old 01-13-2003, 06:56 PM
epoxy
Regulator

try a private seller... use sites like autotrader.com and stuff.. private sellers are usually ALOT cheaper.. and you can haggle the hell outta them :naughty:

just dont grab the first thing you see.. it took me about 2 months to find a goo deal.. then i got a loaded 98lude sh for 8000 and a new tranny ... but i'm pretty sure that's a good deal (dude was rich..he didnt care)

just keep look'n