Notices

OEM US Spec Fogs - Worth It?

Old 11-30-2002, 11:56 AM
dex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OEM US Spec Fogs - Worth It?

Are these fogs really that bright high quality? K temp? Wattage of bulb? I know the JDM look better for sure. Just comparing functionality.

Now, I know that is a purely subjective question, but here's my reasoning. I have a friend with a stock Accord EX, 00 I think, and he had his dealer install some fogs.

They are bright as heck, I mean, they may be driving lights, and the dealer didn't aim them properly for all I know, but they are maybe about the diameter of a tennis ball.

Does anyone have the dealer installed fogs and can comment?

TIA
Old 11-30-2002, 03:51 PM
fastball
A little chin music

Location: Cleveland, Ohio - Rock 'n Roll capitol of the World

I do, and they are not anything fantastic. What they do, they do very well. They illuminate the section of road between the car's bumper and the end of the area covered by the headlights. It makes a very full, even, and consistant illumination. But if you are looking for them to be spotlights in a forrest while you're looking for an escaped convict, sorry. I think there are DOT regulations on fog lamps, anyway. Which is one of the reasons the dealer installed kit will turn them off when you switch to your bright lamps. I like them, but then again, I'm not trying to show the car off or get in to trouble.
Old 12-01-2002, 02:04 AM
rayweipu
J Spec CT20b

how much?
Old 12-01-2002, 03:48 AM
fastball
A little chin music

I just looked at my receipt for my car, and I paid 300.00 installed for the lights, but that was after negotiating for the car and other accessories (spoiler, floormats, leather shift knob). I don't know what a dealer will charge now on a used car. Plus, I don't know how many Prelude accessories will be left now. They've been out of production for a year.
Old 12-01-2002, 05:02 AM
dex

Originally posted by rayweipu
how much?
handa-accessories.com, yes, handa, sells them for ~$250.

http://www.handa-accessories.com/preext.html
Old 12-01-2002, 05:24 AM
dex

Originally posted by fastball
I do, and they are not anything fantastic. What they do, they do very well. They illuminate the section of road between the car's bumper and the end of the area covered by the headlights. It makes a very full, even, and consistant illumination. But if you are looking for them to be spotlights in a forrest while you're looking for an escaped convict, sorry. I think there are DOT regulations on fog lamps, anyway. Which is one of the reasons the dealer installed kit will turn them off when you switch to your bright lamps. I like them, but then again, I'm not trying to show the car off or get in to trouble.
Great info fb, thanks. My tower guards bag all my escapees before they reach the perimeter.

Has there ever been a comparison done bwtween the US & JDM fog light quality or bean pattern? Which set is brighter, fuller, cleaner?

Truth be told, I really want some additional driving lights, not necessarily fog lights, but they'll do I'm sure; that's why I am curious about the JDMs.

Do you know if you can even order the JDMs from a local dealer since they are a factory part? Would they install them if you brought them in yourself, again, since they are a factory part?

BTW, fast, can you snap off a couple pics, perhaps at dusk and full night? Maybe from a couple angles? Come on, who doesn't like showing off pics of their car?
Old 12-01-2002, 06:49 AM
boilers

I also have a USDM fog light. I don't think they're very bright, they're just like what fastball said. I think JDM foglights is better if you want a driving light.

You can't buy JDM from local dealers since they're not from US. You can search for them in ebay or buy used ones. There aren't too many new ones around since they discontinue the preludes

JDM fog
Old 12-01-2002, 11:48 AM
GSuperR
High revving V8 FTW!!!

The add great support to my headlamp, too bad they look yellow at night, not as flashy as JDM fogs but worth teh 250 I guess.
Old 12-01-2002, 01:00 PM
fastball
A little chin music

Originally posted by dex
Great info fb, thanks. My tower guards bag all my escapees before they reach the perimeter.

Has there ever been a comparison done bwtween the US & JDM fog light quality or bean pattern? Which set is brighter, fuller, cleaner?

Truth be told, I really want some additional driving lights, not necessarily fog lights, but they'll do I'm sure; that's why I am curious about the JDMs.

Do you know if you can even order the JDMs from a local dealer since they are a factory part? Would they install them if you brought them in yourself, again, since they are a factory part?

BTW, fast, can you snap off a couple pics, perhaps at dusk and full night? Maybe from a couple angles? Come on, who doesn't like showing off pics of their car?
I don't think you can get JDM parts from your dealer.... I actually tried to get the electronic climate control from JDM or European Preludes, and no can do. Only USA parts come into the dealers. However, I believe if you get the JDM lamps, your dealer will probably install them for you. I would assume the installation is the same. As for pics of my car, I have no scanner, digital camera, and I'm lucky my computer boots up at all..... it's a 1996 Pentium 166 . I keep waiting for it to crash, but I still hasn't given me an excuse to go out and buy a new one. So for the time being, as much as I would like to show my car off, I can't do that right now. Sorry.
Old 12-03-2002, 03:07 PM
epoxy
Regulator

i have the usdm foglights..

www.custom-honda.com/customprelude.com/mylude for pics.

they are pointless if you arent in fog.. they might add a barly noticable amount of light when it's dark, although they make it look aggressive at night.

like they said earlier, when it's foggy they light up everything around you pretty much. it's like having your bright on, except it doesnt illuminate the fog. it's weird, but helps alot.

shouldn't be racing in fog anyways