Notices

Would you rebuild this H22a1?

Old 11-21-2002, 05:40 AM
Barry WY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would you rebuild this H22a1?

My H22a1 burns oil during highway trips. It consumes about 1 quart every 300 miles. I've never let it get below one quart low, so I don't know for sure if it would keep consuming but I bet so. In town (which is most of my driving) it does not burn oil.

My local dealer has used un-stick-um stuff in the cylinders to free the oil rings in case any are stuck. They've also cleaned or replaced the PCV valve. No change. When I had them check compression they got "135, 150, 135, 150."

Other than having to add oil, I've got no issues with the car. It drives great. The transmission and clutch still are as good as new (amazingly enough). I love the shape of the G4 Prelude more than G5 or the new Accords. The V6 6-speed Accord coupe would be my replacement vehicle first choice but I can't seem to get myself to like its more bulbous shape. The RSX-S comes closest to what I'd like in a replacement car, but there's no Acura dealer within 400 miles. The only Acura I'd put up with (no local dealer) is the NSX. h:

I bought my '93 Prelude VTEC in October, 1992 and only have 55,000 miles on it. It has been maintained well, not raced (I'm a stodgy 55 y.o. pediatrician), but driven every day, mostly 2 mile trips. Probably less than 10,000 miles of the 55,000 miles are highway. I also use it to tow a 4 wheeler to the mountains. The body is in very good condition with no major accidents, just a couple of door dings. My wonderful local bodyshop has repainted the front for me to get rid of stone chips.

What would you do:
Live with it?
Rebuild the engine?
Trade?

What is the acceptable compression in a 10 year old H22a1 with 55,000 miles?
Old 11-21-2002, 07:54 PM
d98clturbo
i'm high...on boost!!

your compression should be alot higher than that...i think you may need to rebuild the motor..take it to a mechanic they'll tell you the same thing
Old 12-01-2002, 09:27 PM
97grnlude

defintely rebuild. I know of some good shops down in ft. collins colorado (pretty close to wyoming)that will do it.