Notices

Removing shift knob on '91 auto 3G

Old 05-26-2008, 02:16 PM
BradWaite

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing shift knob on '91 auto 3G

How do I remove the shift knob on my 91 auto 'Lude? It appears there's a pin of some sort that goes through the knob, but I can't see how to get it out. Plus, the S4 wires run up inside the knob, too.
Old 05-26-2008, 03:48 PM
BradWaite

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, figured it out. For posterity's sake, here's how to go about it:

Remove the rear and front consoles as per the shop manual.

Disconnect the S4 switch cable (insulated, green/black) from the base of the shifter; it's on the driver's side, towards the front. You'll have to use pliers to release the connector from the housing. Use a nail or something pointy to release the pins from within the connector and then pull the cable through to the base of the shifter knob.

Remove the two screws on base of the knob. Find the tiny hole in the side of rubber housing about 1/3 down from the top. That's where the spring pin is, which holds the push knob assembly in place. Use a nail or something similar to knock the pin out the other side.

Once the pin's out you can lift the knob off the shifter, twisting it slightly if necessary and feeding the S4 cable through the bottom of the shifter assembly.

Once the knob's off, you can remove the push knob by poking it up from the bottom. The S4 button snaps out, but be careful not to break any of the clasps like I did.