Notices

"feathering" of the clutch...

Old 10-30-2002, 09:35 PM
epoxy
Regulator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "feathering" of the clutch...

i was wondering if someone could explain "feathering" the clutch.

have an act extreme clutch and short shifter if that means anything.
Old 10-31-2002, 04:32 AM
jc836

You mean to slip it-that is not the best thing to do actually. This will cause it to heat up a good bit more than it is designed for. If you mean slowly releasing while applying power-that is how you should do it. Unless you are doing a burnout in a bleach box, which means you dump it, just go easy.
Old 10-31-2002, 08:22 AM
epoxy
Regulator

well..basically i need help on launching it. trying not to do it basically from a dead idle, and i dont want to spin out either (although i dont mind a little squeak.. )

just gotta find the rev point where it is perfect i guess. but if i let off the clutch easy, it wont shake and stuff?

it just seems there would be an easier way then leting off the clutch slowly, 'cus wouldnt that slow the reaction time?
Old 10-31-2002, 11:29 AM
ProTrainer

WHATS UP EPOXY IF YOU HAVE A LUDE THEN YOU WANT TO REV AROUND 4K, AND AS FAR AS THE CLUTCH I HAVE A HEAVY DUTY PRESSURE PLATE & 6 PUCK DISC LIGHTND FLYWHEEL 8lbs. IF YOU DUMP THE CLUTCH YOU WILL SPIN NO MATTER WHAT OR IF YOU ARE QUICK YOU CAN EASY OFF THE CLUTCH BUT QUICKLY IF NOT YO WILL LOOSE THE LAUNCH.
Old 10-31-2002, 02:54 PM
fastball
A little chin music

Location: Cleveland, Ohio - Rock 'n Roll capitol of the World

Whoa, easy on the caps lock, ProTrainer! If you dump it at 4k, your not in VTEC yet. I seem to have success at around 5K. Sure you'll squeal, but there's enough torque generated at that point to where the engine speed won't drop too far when you release the clutch. By the way, I think the feathering reference you may be talking about is for the gas pedal. When launching, feather the gas at around 5k untill you dump the clutch, then floor it AFTER you engage the clutch. Otherwise, you may leave a trail of springs, bearings and a pressure plate or two behind you!
Old 10-31-2002, 06:26 PM
epoxy
Regulator

define "feathering" the gas? i dunno wtf "feathering" is! hehe.. my friend just told me to read up on it. :-D
Old 11-01-2002, 05:30 AM
ProTrainer

I understand the reason why you luanch it at 5k but I have a light flywheel 8lbs. It really does not take me long to hit vtec. Launching at 4k I can hook up quicker rather than sitting there spinning and in a race that could be the difference. But like I said I know what you mean its like shifting at 8k rather then 7500 like most Prelude owners this is the reason why they loose so many races they dont fall into vtec. Another reason why Preludes have a bad rap.
Old 11-01-2002, 10:44 AM
tommyboy
ImportXpression OG

Originally posted by epoxy
define "feathering" the gas? i dunno wtf "feathering" is! hehe.. my friend just told me to read up on it. :-D
i called it " fanning it" but wit the ACT extreme clutch shiat you have, I dun suggest fanning it. Plus the only time you fan or feathering it, when you're in first gear.

You need to learn to give it gas and at the same time letting the clutch off.
Old 11-01-2002, 11:45 AM
fastball
A little chin music

Location: Cleveland, Ohio - Rock 'n Roll capitol of the World

"Feathering" the gas is to get it up to 5k, then lighly tap the gas up and down (rev the engine up and down within a thousand RPM) untill your ready to release the clutch. That way the engine isn't at a constant RPM for too long.
Old 11-26-2002, 12:13 AM
knave

Originally posted by fastball
"Feathering" the gas is to get it up to 5k, then lighly tap the gas up and down (rev the engine up and down within a thousand RPM) untill your ready to release the clutch. That way the engine isn't at a constant RPM for too long.
Is there anything wrong with holding steady at a given RPM?

Also, I think 5k is way too high for a launch on a stock 5th gen. (Or 4th gen VTEC.) In my 5th gen, I could have the tires at their limit with a smooth launch from 2700 to 3000RPMs. Gradually let the clutch out and deliver as much power as possible to the wheels without spinning them. Revving up to 5000 is unnecessary -- more prone to either spin your wheels or burn the clutch.

By the way, I mean start engaging the clutch and increasing throttle at the same time, so you don't bog too much. The clutch should be fully engaged by the time VTEC hits, and you'll take off like you wouldn't believe. This method got me a 14.75 (G-Tech...) on a stock 98. I think the G-Tech is slightly innaccurate, so take it for what it's worth.

My MR2, with a ridiculous amount of rear wheel traction (mid engine is cool...) has to be launched around 4500 to 5000RPMs to avoid bogging. An FF car like the Prelude definitely doesn't need this treatment, though.

Mike