Notices

tail light gaskets

Old 04-10-2008, 07:22 AM
meredithf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tail light gaskets

I just discovered the source of huge amounts of water getting into the trunk and then into the back seat was a severely worn/rotted tail light gasket. No auto parts stores in my area carry them. I also called a couple import shops in the area and they don't have them either. I called several honda dealerships as well, none of them carry the gaskets and they all told me the same story - they would have to order them and there are only TWO left in the entire US! Wow.

Does anyone know where I might find some? After market brands would be fine. In the meantime I've made one to at least get me by for a while.

Last edited by meredithf; 04-10-2008 at 07:44 AM.
Old 04-16-2008, 11:24 AM
99PreludeSh

Your best bet is either a totaled lude or you can even make your own
Old 04-16-2008, 12:23 PM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

Originally Posted by 99PreludeSh
Your best bet is either a totaled lude or you can even make your own
Agreed.
This is a common problem for older third-gen Integra coupes as well.
Last winter I dealt with the same issue. After 12 years, the OEM gaskets had dried out in the SoCal heat and split.

Rather than take a chance on used gaskets or pay an arm & a leg at the dealer, I bought a sheet of 3/8" high density EPDM and made a new set.

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!
Old 04-22-2008, 08:29 AM
meredithf

Thanks for the responses. I ended up making my own and using a bit of black silicone caulking... I don't think water will be leaking in that way for a loooong time.

BUT, it turns out I was only half correct. Water WAS getting in due to the bad gaskets, but it's getting in somewhere else too. I haven't figured out precisely where, but it's definitely somewhere near the right tail light area. I intend to check the sunroof drain/hose/tube as I've heard this is a problem in older ludes.

Thankfully I found the drain plugs in the trunk for the time being

Thanks again
Old 04-25-2008, 05:07 AM
muha22752

i got new ones at autozone its like a sticky adhesive gasket. ask them bout it, it works great