Notices

99 Prelude: Slipped timing belt / tension problem

Old 03-24-2008, 08:39 PM
AncientPC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Prelude: Slipped timing belt / tension problem

On my way home today I started hearing a flapping sound and then lost engine power and couldn't turn the engine over.

All my alternator belts were snug so I took the head / middle cover off to check my timing belt. There were no stress marks on the belt but tension was loose to the point I could slip off the belt and the cams were not synchronized. Trying to see the ends of the timing balance belt I had a friend turn the engine over a few more times but couldn't see anything. Tension in the timing belt would vary from firm / loose. In other words, after going through a few cycles the timing belt was much firmer and snug than before. We're wondering if the timing belt had slipped and thus caused the cams to get out of sync.

Either way, my question is would this be an auto-tensioner or timing belt problem? And if so, how would I diagnose and approximately how long would it take to fix?

Looking through my Helm's manual, I was surprised that it stated to remove the side engine mount without supporting the weight underneath to get at the timing belt. Even then, it's a very tight space to work in unless we removed the driver side front tire and got at the belts through the wheel well (is that possible?).

Also, can anybody recommend a good engine shop in Austin? I need to start calling around for quotes tomorrow . . .

BTW my car only has 77k miles on it.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:11 AM
F22B Prelude
Rachel Bilson

There were tensioner problems with the 5th gen. preludes...sorry
Old 04-17-2008, 04:33 PM
skillznthrillz2

was there any damage done to your valves?