Notices

slow prelude??

Old 12-28-2007, 09:17 AM
mberndt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by F22B Prelude
02 sensors arent gonna do shit for you............
Yeah, seriously... You ran a 17.1 because you drive an automatic, period.
If you weren't lazy and drove a 5-speed manual, you would drop your times by at least a second.
Buying new 02 sensors will do nothing if they do not need to be replaced )ie check engine light).
You have one less gear than a 5 speed, therefore your acceleration is already being affected. Not to mention you cannot launch an auto car very well, aside from power braking it, and the automatic weighs more than a 5-speed tranny...
To top it all off, since you have an automatic, your cams are not as efficient (aka don't breathe as well) as the cams in a 5-speed model. Cams for automatics are always less efficient. This means less power and slower quarter mile times.

P.S. Honda automatics are notorious for sapping alot of power...
Old 12-29-2007, 04:10 PM
coonman17

Originally Posted by mberndt
Yeah, seriously... You ran a 17.1 because you drive an automatic, period.
If you weren't lazy and drove a 5-speed manual, you would drop your times by at least a second.
Buying new 02 sensors will do nothing if they do not need to be replaced )ie check engine light).
You have one less gear than a 5 speed, therefore your acceleration is already being affected. Not to mention you cannot launch an auto car very well, aside from power braking it, and the automatic weighs more than a 5-speed tranny...
To top it all off, since you have an automatic, your cams are not as efficient (aka don't breathe as well) as the cams in a 5-speed model. Cams for automatics are always less efficient. This means less power and slower quarter mile times.

P.S. Honda automatics are notorious for sapping alot of power...
response:

1. i bought the car used so i couldn't choose if it was an auto or not
2.check engine light is on and an engine code reader told me i needed new o2 sensors and cat(i have since drilled out)
3.i did powerbrake when i launched and ran a 17.1
Old 12-30-2007, 07:39 AM
mberndt

Originally Posted by coonman17
response:

1. i bought the car used so i couldn't choose if it was an auto or not
2.check engine light is on and an engine code reader told me i needed new o2 sensors and cat(i have since drilled out)
3.i did powerbrake when i launched and ran a 17.1
LOL, that sucks about getting automatic with no choice. I always rip on people who drive autos, so don't be offended...

In the case of your O2 sensors, if the CEL is on then certainly get new ones.

If you replace the 02 sensors, the performance should return... How is your gas mileage with CEL on?
Old 12-30-2007, 01:08 PM
DRR

Originally Posted by F22B Prelude
Preludes are grossly overweight
Ha! Compared to what?

Civic Si - Wt-2600 H/P-160 TQ-111@7k Power to wt ratio- 16.25lbs per hp

GS-R - Wt-2672 H/P-170 TQ-128@6.2k Power to wt ratio-15.71lbs per hp

Prelude - Wt-2954 H/P-200 TQ-156@5.2k Power to wt ratio-14.77lbs per hp

At the scale at Sac Raceway mine was 2845 - w/o spare, jack, trunk floor & carpet, with stock tires and wheels.

I am sure it weighs less now after many more mods, light weight Center Line wheels being the biggest improvement. They really woke the car up with less rotational mass.

Prelude automatics suffer from the fact that you can't keep them in VTEC.
I think they also weigh more than the M/T Prelude.