Notices

i need help with my 5th gen!

Old 11-17-2007, 04:58 AM
twissm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i need help with my 5th gen!

hey guys,
my 97 base prelude has been making some strange noises.. it started off as a slightly high pitched whining noise(in the area between the two front wheels)as i was in first gear, getting the car into motion from a standstill(and usually up a hill). it seemed to be worst when the car had just been turned on, especially in the cold. Another noise i've noticed recently is that when i go over speed bumps, i hear a distinct squeaking noise as my front wheels are passing over. I'm not sure if the two problems are related though the noise seems to be coming from the same general area. i also recently found out that my rack and pinion is broken(and i definitely hear a slight squeaking noise when i turn my wheels) but i don't think it's related to the first two noises because i hear those even when my wheels are completely straight. so basically, i have no idea whether it might be my engine, transmission, axle, or suspension that might be causing those first two noises i mentioned. can anybody help me out? thanks so much in advance!
Old 11-26-2007, 10:00 PM
nspec_Cd5

u need to change all ur belts.
second noise that comes when u go over bumps. has something to do w/ ur suspension. more than likely ur shocks, but when u get it checked, have them grease up all the joints.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:22 AM
Line7
Platinum Member

You do not necessarily need to change your belts. Inspect them first, use guidelines in the manual. If they are fine, they need to be tightened.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:53 AM
18crx
stock booster

i had the same probelm then i broke my tranny because of lack of fluid.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:07 AM
99PreludeSh

That noise you hear when you are inbfirst is it like a humming noise and can you feel it vibrate? If it is, than its your ABS doing a self test, everytime you turn off your car and turn it on and start driving it does a self test. If its doing it any other time you need to figure out whats wrong with your ABS.

The other noise is most likely something in your suspension.