Notices

91 Prelude SI

Old 11-05-2007, 07:23 PM
Siacono

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 91 Prelude SI

I have a guy give me a 91 Prelude SI here is what he told me about it.
i was at work, went out to start it and got nothing, tried to jump it, still got nothing. then i had it towed back home and went to start it and it did start, every since then it hasn't started back up, it blows my mind. if you put a charge to it, it will turn over, but very slowly, and will not fire. thats about all i can tell you, and no there weren't any weird noises or anything, thats what makes this so odd to me, hope this helps you out, get back at me, im bout to go to class, lata
So after I did some research I think I am going to check the
1. coil
2. ICM
3. PGM-FI

in that order, what do you think, would that be a good start? any other ideas?

This is only my third Honda, 1st was a 84 Prelude never had problems beside routine things (starter, alt). First car I had. Second was a 91 Accord which I got for $100 about 7 years ago needed a tranny, ran it and never had a problem and sold it. So as you can see I haven't had a whole lot of experience trouble shooting Honda's. But I am not a total newbie to auto mechanics. So any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 11-10-2007, 01:35 AM
A-series
v-card member alpha

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like you're on the right track.

Might be easier to first check for spark, if none you can move on to checking things under the distributor cap, including the coil and ignitor (or Ignition Control Module as you put it). Since it started back up, albeit briefly, my first guess would be the ignitor but who knows.

Others that come to mind would be ECU or the main relay. If you have fuel (or just don't get spark and so assume there's fuel) I wouldn't put any thought into those - also due to the fact that it won't start back up consistently which seems to rule out at least the relay.

I used to drive a '90 Si but never did much work on it. Best of luck