Notices

engine swap

Old 01-25-2007, 09:28 PM
Niceprelude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine swap

Can a h22a vtec work in a automatic transmission,and how it perform.
Old 01-26-2007, 06:36 AM
F22B Prelude
Rachel Bilson

It'll work but its not worth it
Old 01-26-2007, 01:54 PM
prelude1897

yes it'll work
Old 01-26-2007, 02:14 PM
WhiteNoiz

Default sure

Yes you can, there are a lot of auto ludes with the h22a1 and h22a4. Worth it? How much does the thought of a tranny swap bother you? I love my H22a4, even with the auto. I could give a crap less if my auto tranny goes out, in fact I would probably be happy so I could swap a 5 speed in ($ and downtime would suck). I wouldnt have bought my auto but how many 5th gens are running around with 29k miles? I still take care of my tranny though.

Hope that helps.
Old 01-26-2007, 06:39 PM
Niceprelude

would the vtec kick in at around not sure maybe 5000rpm or 6000rpm with that turbo feeling.
Old 01-29-2007, 12:36 PM
WhiteNoiz

Originally Posted by Niceprelude
would the vtec kick in at around not sure maybe 5000rpm or 6000rpm with that turbo feeling.
5250 rpm is about where it kicks in, at least in my 5th gen. I guess you could call it a turbo feeling. More of a vtec feeling. its rad, people shift when you vtec lol. (typicly)
Old 01-30-2007, 09:17 AM
mberndt

Originally Posted by WhiteNoiz
5250 rpm is about where it kicks in, at least in my 5th gen. I guess you could call it a turbo feeling. More of a vtec feeling. its rad, people shift when you vtec lol. (typicly)
Actually, it has nothing in common with a "turbo feeling"...
And since you are a Honda owner, you should understand the operation of VTEC... One of my pet-peeves ...
VTEC simply extends the torque curve beyond the operating range of most motors. This extension equates to high HP cause of the definition of the function of Horsepower. It is dependent upon the torque and RPM.

It is nothing more than the ability of the motor to use 2 different camshafts for 2 different engine speeds, that's it. Period.
If the engine only had the cam with the large lobes operating all the time, it would only make power high in the rpm band. and Vice-versa.

And VTEC is fundamentally different than other manufacturers' Valve-timing systems. Only Honda, Toyota (Celica GTS) and BMW have developed systems where BOTH the valve timing AND more importantly the valve lift and duration are changed in response to engine speed.
And it is this large lift and duration that enable power to be generated where other engines would simply not be able to flow enough air. Also, the tell-tale VTEC sound is because the overlap of the valves...
What you "feel" is the difference in the torque when the high-lift cams begin to operate. In fact, if it is done properly, it will not "feel" like anything more than a smooth transition. (I've heard Honda purposely made the RSX X-over point higher in order to "make it feel" like a bigger jump).
Old 01-30-2007, 11:13 AM
ErichPryde

Mike is right about the RSX. Honda also set up the new civic si that way- when vtec "engages," you can really tell. I was talking to a coworker about hondas (I own a 2006 civic si) and he made a comment something along these lines- "so, can you really feel it when vtec kicks in? I've driven (other hondas) where you couldn't really tell, and I like the in-your seat feeling."

I guess Honda is catering to its american customers, but I don't really know how it feels when a JDM Civic Type R engages vtec. could be a sudden kick.
Old 01-30-2007, 01:10 PM
WhiteNoiz

Thanks for the newbe recap Mike! I hope someone reads it and learns something.

all I was saying is yes, you should be able to feel it "kick in", weither or not it actually has a kick to it or not, the increase in power is noticable. I have a VAFC to smooth out the powerband of my vtec.

**edit: Although I did learn the RSX has a higher x-over point to give it a bigger kick hehe

Last edited by WhiteNoiz; 01-30-2007 at 01:25 PM.