Notices

Cheap Engine Swap

Old 11-28-2006, 05:33 AM
Bob Brock
Prelude 1992 Type S F22A

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cheap Engine Swap

I have a f22a engin in a 91 honda prelude. I was thinking about turboing it because the engine was just replaced (only 20,000 miles on the engine) so would it be cheaper to turbo it or save mone and swap it for an H22. And also where would I get a cheap turbo kit or a cheap engine to swap. Also I like to drive the car every day but I want some extra power enough to beat a freakin caliver. (I have cool air intake already love the little extra I pick up and a preformance chip but just not enough to beat a freakin caliver)
Old 11-28-2006, 07:22 AM
Lynxx
Methanol Drinker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Firstly, horsepower isn't really going to come "cheap". With a turbo kit you're going to spend $2K or more by the time it's all said and done. A new engine may require the trans to be changed to fit, and then you have to deal with the ECM, wiring, etc.
A turbo is going to require additional mods to "wake-up" the horsepower potential (i.e. free-flowing exhaust, fuel management, better spark management, etc).
Since you say that you're driving the car on a daily basis, you might want to steer away from a new engine. That will involve a bit of down time even for the best of mechanics.
The cheapest and easiest way to make some horsepower is to throw nitrous at it. As long as you don't go overboard with it, a dry-shot of nitrous is cheap, effective, and safe. Also it will install in a few hours and be ready to go (low down-time).