Notices

Prelude 2001 Brake Parts - HELP !!!

Old 07-26-2006, 10:01 AM
muaxuan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prelude 2001 Brake Parts - HELP !!!

Hello,

I want to replace front and rear brake rotors and pads for my prelude 2001 with 87,000 Km. I haven't replace them since I bought the car brand new. I know I can get original rotors machined for 1st time but I don't like the idea of machineing rotors and it costs to machine them anyway, at least from $15 - 30$/each, while I think an average rotor is about $50/each. Do you recommend Honda OEM parts (from Honda dealer) or aftermarket parts? Rotors and Pads from Honda dealer are expensive.

- How do you think about Wagner and Guardian brand rotors and pads? are they good quality?
- I want to use Wagner rear rotors, Guardian front rotors, Honda OEM front/rear pads. How do you think???

Here are some brands for rotor and pads that I don't know which one is good, need your recommendation:

- Mountain
- Nissin Japan
- PBR
- Akebono
- NPN

Last edited by muaxuan; 07-26-2006 at 10:09 AM.
Old 07-26-2006, 09:13 PM
vassil3427

Personally, if they've never been resurfaced I'd have the rotors machined, IMHO there's no reason to waste good rotors unless your's are warped. If you do replace them I would encourage you to have the new one's turned, I've had many a rotorwear incorrectly as a result of a bad factory machine job on the rotor....Again just my opinion..Also make sure you get ceramic pads, semi-metallic...ect..will all eventually sqeek...
Old 07-27-2006, 07:13 PM
fastball
A little chin music

Location: Cleveland, Ohio - Rock 'n Roll capitol of the World

I have 154,000 miles on my original, stock, from the Syamura, Japan Honda factory rotors. They've been machined once, and are still good. I replaced all 4 sets of pads and had the rotors machined at 84,000 miles, and I think I will outpace that. I did switch to Bendix brake pads in lieu of the stock Honda pads. They've worked well.
Old 08-09-2006, 09:10 AM
JLUDE
Prelude Junkie

I know I'm new to the forum but I've owned Preludes for the past 10 years, this is my 3rd prelude. When my pads need replaced I always replace the rotors at the same time. Like a wise man once said, it's better to put $90 pads on $15 rotors than vice versa. So stick with OEM pads but the rotors can be cheap...I use the kinda autozone sells, I think they are about $25 each...have worked great and I run the car hard. Do not get inferior pads however!

- JL
Old 08-11-2006, 12:20 PM
hattrick58

It's been my experience that Honda OEM pads work best. Rotors are a different story. I recently redid my brakes and put Power Slots on and I can't believe how good they are. They are pricey, though but man are they worth it.
Old 10-26-2006, 12:55 AM
Nirvanaspartan

I'm thinking about changing out my brakes and rotors, what do you guys think of these rotors?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda...38697151QQrdZ1