Notices

Anyone had the This Throttle cable Problem...5th Gens

Old 07-04-2006, 06:59 PM
Geeq

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone had the This Throttle cable Problem...5th Gens

My throttle cable kept getting looser and looser. I tighteded and it would be loose again.

So I started inspecting.

Where the cable connects to the throttle pedal there is a rubber buffer or gromet. This had torn and caused the line to keep getting loose.

I searched for the gromet but it looks like it comes with the throttle cable. Which I will replace. But is there any other way I can replace this so it won't happen again?

Has anyone had this happen?
Old 07-06-2006, 06:48 PM
prelood

My `97 had about 85k miles on it and I never had a problem with it.

You could see about getting a stronger grommet at like Home Depot and just use that instead of the stock one...but other than that there's probably not much you can do, unless you can find one off another car that is sufficient.
Old 07-06-2006, 07:12 PM
VPUPPY

So its only loose on the pedal end?? what about the throttle body end? is there a lot of play there too?
Old 07-06-2006, 08:26 PM
Geeq

Yes, But I can't tighten it anymore by the throttle body. The grommet is torn and needs to be replaced on the pedel.
Old 07-07-2006, 09:24 PM
PoloBoy

Well your throttle cable is a huge part to manual tuning without it being in the right condition at at the right exact point it needs I would just say replace the cable, but since im not quite certain as to what your saying; Is it the grommet actually connected to the firewall that the cable just runs through or a grommet that actually goes around the cable that stays in a certain place so that when the accelerator is pushed the cable runs freely through that grommet but stays at the right angle and height so theres no excess pull on the cable causing a different throttle rate. If it is one that is on the cable I would say just replace the unit, unless you know exactly where the grommet is supposed to go on the cable and the cable doesn't look bent or kinked anywhere then just go to a home depot, lowes, etc... and try to find one that is relatively similar and will hold the cable but not pinch it too tightly.
If its the grommet on the firewall, than just go get a new one at home depot, lowes, napa..etc... as far as the cable coming loose because of a missing grommet and having to be re-adjusted often (unless your trying to find the sweet spot when manual tuning) than I dont know how that would happen unless its just unhooked from a cable harness bracket somewhere.
Anyways sorry i'm not much help but tell me what happens when you are done figuring this problem out I might need to know it in the future. goodluck.
Old 07-09-2006, 05:37 PM
Geeq

[QUOTE=PoloBoy]a grommet that actually goes around the cable that stays in a certain place so that when the accelerator is pushed the cable runs freely through that grommet but stays at the right angle and height so theres no excess pull on the cable causing a different throttle rate. If it is one that is on the cable I would say just replace the unit,
[QUOTE]

Thats the one. I searched majestic honda online and theres no replacement for it. It comes with the new throttle cable.
Old 08-02-2006, 11:57 PM
PoloBoy

yeah that seems to always be the case, always got to replace the unit on Hondas you can't ever seem to find a unit that will have replacement parts for sale on pieces to the units. Sorry man atleast you know though. goodluck on getting the cable assembly for a good deal, if anything look at the bright side there is no way it will cost the same as say a new tranny or engine. goodluck man