Notices

Has anyone ever used a bottle of fuel injector on your car to increase mpg?

Old 03-08-2006, 02:34 PM
J Lude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone ever used a bottle of fuel injector on your car to increase mpg?

Has anyone ever used a bottle of fuel injector on your car to increase mpg? I'm thinking of buying a bottle of STP complete fuel system cleaner (for about $6) and a bottle of fuel injector cleaner (for about $3) . I plan to buy it and use it on my next oil change, about 500 miles from now. Any one use this brand before? How good/bad were the results?? Anyother recommended brands that arent too expensive, but will give the same results and are around the same prive range?? (ive seen other brands like prestone for like 75 a bottle but i dont trust putting that stuff into my engine. And i heard of bg44 or something like that but seems to costly for me.)
Old 03-08-2006, 04:46 PM
hitman619
SDSU Basketball

get lucas gas treatment it's good stuff worht the extra 2.00$
Old 03-10-2006, 11:51 AM
asheylarry

go to jiffy lube, or the equivalent, and ask them to run a bottle of injector cleaner through. takes about an hour but its the only one i feel actually does anything except for chevron techron. its good to add every few oil changes too. i use techron
Old 03-10-2006, 04:41 PM
fastball
A little chin music

Location: Cleveland, Ohio - Rock 'n Roll capitol of the World

I can attest to Chevron Techron's performance first hand..... the CEL came on in my car about a month ago, and the code that came up said misfire on all 4 cylinders. Hoping it was just bad gas, but slightly worried it might be something else, I tried running the tank down, refueling till full, and adding some generic fuel additive. Didn't work.... now I'm more than a bit worried. So I take my car to my Honda dealer who is actually a very trustworthy dealer, they check it, clear out the codes, and give me a bottle of Techron for 6 bucks. It did the trick. And they didn't charge me a dime more for anything else.

The service manager said Honda recomends Techron and nothing else. I can see why.
Old 03-11-2006, 03:48 PM
J Lude

Originally Posted by fastball
I can attest to Chevron Techron's performance first hand..... the CEL came on in my car about a month ago, and the code that came up said misfire on all 4 cylinders. Hoping it was just bad gas, but slightly worried it might be something else, I tried running the tank down, refueling till full, and adding some generic fuel additive. Didn't work.... now I'm more than a bit worried. So I take my car to my Honda dealer who is actually a very trustworthy dealer, they check it, clear out the codes, and give me a bottle of Techron for 6 bucks. It did the trick. And they didn't charge me a dime more for anything else.

The service manager said Honda recomends Techron and nothing else. I can see why.

wow thats awsome. I'm going to use a bottle of Chevron's techron then. I dont think ill ever use a bottle of STP anymore becuase i was checking around online and I read a few times that the liquid actually did about 8g worth of damage on their car...
Old 03-13-2006, 02:29 AM
desmonsm

Like everyone else is saying, Techron is good stuff - just be sure to get the actual Techron concentrate, and not the Pro Guard stuff that's cheaper.
You might also want to try Gumout Regane Complete Fuel System Cleaner (Gumout has a few products - look for the one with this specific name - it's a clear bottle and the fluid is yellow). You can get it for free after rebate at Advance Auto Parts until 4/1.
Old 03-17-2006, 11:34 PM
Ludemandan
Prelude tracktion

Originally Posted by J Lude
Has anyone ever used a bottle of fuel injector on your car to increase mpg? I'm thinking of buying a bottle of STP complete fuel system cleaner (for about $6) and a bottle of fuel injector cleaner (for about $3) . I plan to buy it and use it on my next oil change, about 500 miles from now. Any one use this brand before? How good/bad were the results?? Anyother recommended brands that arent too expensive, but will give the same results and are around the same prive range?? (ive seen other brands like prestone for like 75 a bottle but i dont trust putting that stuff into my engine. And i heard of bg44 or something like that but seems to costly for me.)
It sounds like you're treating this injector cleaner as a much bigger deal than it is. It's the kind of thing you would do as an afterthought when you buy a tank of gas, not plan on six months in advance. The reason I say that is because I've used various cleaners several times and have never noticed much of a difference (nor have they caused any damage), but I still think they might be worth the $6 every now and then.

Dan
Old 03-20-2006, 09:36 PM
Que-Lude

dont use any gas treatment. the treatment loosens up big chunks out of the gas tank and fuel lines that can clog up your injectors even worse. go have your injectors and entire throttle body cleaned by someone who supports that service. It will clean out your injectors better then any treatment ever could, plus it cleans your heads and valves but it can cost about $120

Last edited by Que-Lude; 03-20-2006 at 09:39 PM.
Old 03-21-2006, 04:47 AM
'98 EX RED
King of the Auto Civic

Seafoam.
Old 03-21-2006, 04:27 PM
J Lude

Originally Posted by Que-Lude
dont use any gas treatment. the treatment loosens up big chunks out of the gas tank and fuel lines that can clog up your injectors even worse. go have your injectors and entire throttle body cleaned by someone who supports that service. It will clean out your injectors better then any treatment ever could, plus it cleans your heads and valves but it can cost about $120
Thanks for the tip