Notices

2001 Prelude vs 2000 Celica (not a race)

Old 02-24-2006, 01:57 PM
Temporary

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Prelude vs 2000 Celica (not a race)

I am goin ahead and stating i know this is a honda forum and i know the discussion will probably be biased. But my girlfriend is getting rid of her 02 Sentra SE-R (which i advise nobody to ever buy) and is looking at a 2001 Prelude or a 2000 Celica. The prelude is the non-SH 5-speed w/ 58k miles, the celica is the GT-S 6-speed w/ 40k miles. Both are the same price.

I need to know what people know about these cars, and why which is better than the other. Which is faster, which handles better. Which have better reliability. Which has better fuel economy.

I do know the differences in the engine and power, and i also know the prelude is heavier. My girlfriend can't pick between the two, she loves em both. The only down fall is the prelude comes with an annoying fart can, and the Celica has an intake and no sunroof. That's about all she doesn't like. I am pushing for the prelude, only cause when i drove the celica, i just didn't feel right. Maybe i am too used to my old Civic. But whatever!

Thanks to everyone who puts in the input!!
Old 02-24-2006, 02:02 PM
F22B Prelude
Rachel Bilson

Honda has better reliability, and you can always get rid of that exhaust on the prelude.
Old 02-24-2006, 02:09 PM
Temporary

Originally Posted by F22B Prelude
you can always get rid of that exhaust on the prelude.
Oh i know, that's the plan if it gets bought!
Old 02-24-2006, 10:29 PM
prelude1897

Prelude all the way
Old 02-25-2006, 05:59 AM
fastball
A little chin music

Location: Cleveland, Ohio - Rock 'n Roll capitol of the World

They are both very good cars. Since I own a Prelude, I could be very biased on this. But, I'll tell you the last generation Cellica GT-S is the best Cellica ever built. I would say it's more performance oriented than the Prelude. When the GT-S's were new, they were shipped to the dealer with warning tags on the dash and rubber spacers in the springs to prevent anyone but the person buying the car from driving it over 20 mph. The warning tag advised to stay under 3000 RPM when shifting for the first 1000 miles. Not so much for wear in or reliability issues as much for people who were buying this car probably weren't used to how fast this engine can rev. I'm sure 0-60 and 1/4 mile times are better than the Prelude.

If she wants a quiet car, the Cellica is not the car for her. There is not much sound proofing, so freeway noise may get a bit loud. And, when you rev it over 5000 it screams (in a good way). The Prelude is a bit more civilized.

Both cars are good on reliability and quality, though. Either one is a 200,000 mile car.

Both cars require premium fuel (not optional, required, so if she's not prepared to spend a few cents more on gas, don't buy either). Drive cautiously and both cars will average in the mid-upper 20's. The Celica may get a hair better economy, but honestly, from my experiences, if you live above 4500 RPM with either of these cars, fuel economy is right up there with a '72 Buick.

You can always have a moonroof installed aftermarket, and the ones they put in today are far superior to mooroofs of old.

It's a shame both cars have been discontinued

Last edited by fastball; 02-25-2006 at 06:06 AM.
Old 02-27-2006, 07:00 AM
Mynard
Eye warship say ten!

My sister test drove a celica and the road sound was terrible. It was like riding in a jeep with no doors. I really love the style of the celica looks sweet. The acceration is nice on the gt-s as well. But I have to stay true and go with the Prelude.
Old 02-27-2006, 01:36 PM
Temporary

Awesome, thanks for all the info. Now can someone tell me the best way to tell if it is an SH or not. The whole car is de-badged, and Carfax says it's just a 2001 Honda Prelude. If that's all i need to know, then cool!
Old 02-27-2006, 03:19 PM
MellowGold

If it does not have a spoiler, than it is NOT a SH model. However, I actually own a 5th gen with a spoiler and it is not SH. Other than that you can look for the SH box (somewhere under the car *shrug*). The ATTS light will come on briefly with the rest of the lights in the car when you turn it on. The rims on the SH are 5-spoke, if they are original.
Old 02-27-2006, 03:58 PM
fastball
A little chin music

Location: Cleveland, Ohio - Rock 'n Roll capitol of the World

Originally Posted by Temporary
Awesome, thanks for all the info. Now can someone tell me the best way to tell if it is an SH or not. The whole car is de-badged, and Carfax says it's just a 2001 Honda Prelude. If that's all i need to know, then cool!

Pop the hood and look where the rear of the engine block meets transmission (by the bell housing). If it is a Type-SH, you will see hydraulic lines along the side of the transmission for the ATTS. If not, you won't.
Old 02-27-2006, 04:05 PM
SIR3099

To be honest, both cars are very reliable, both are good look, both have decent power. The prelude has the reputation, where the Celica is a great performer probably can out run and accelerate teh prelude.