Notices

Making my '88 'Lude wink?

Old 02-11-2005, 01:40 AM
Synthead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Making my '88 'Lude wink?

I was thinking that it would be really cool if I could push a button inside the car to make one headlight, with the lights on, close and open like a wink. How would I be able to do this? I'm thinking that it should be as easy as having a normally-on button on a +12v lead, but I might be wrong. What should I do? It's a 1988 Prelude 2.0Si 4WS.

Thanks everyone!
Old 02-14-2005, 10:52 PM
Synthead

No ideas? I guess this is something that I'll have to work at myself. I don't think anyone has tried to do this before ...
Old 02-14-2005, 10:53 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Originally Posted by Synthead
No ideas? I guess this is something that I'll have to work at myself. I don't think anyone has tried to do this before ...
That is probably why no one has any tips. I don't think that the headlights can move up and down independently of each other without some tricky wiring. That is just something I wouldn't want to mess with considering the amount of busted popup headlights I see out there.
Old 02-15-2005, 12:15 PM
JL95AccorD

The car would just look like your lights are all messed up if one of them starts going up and down independantly. Nice idea, but results wouldnt be so cool IMO.
Old 02-20-2005, 08:16 AM
VPUPPY

you could goto the motor that runs the headlight(each one has an independent motor by the headlight on the sides of the engine bay) and find that power harness for it. find which wire(using a multimeter) supplies 12v to the motor with the lights are turned on. then you would cut that wire in half and wire in a relay that is connected a switch inside the car. DO NOT JUST WIRE IN A SWITCH, USE A RELAY!

how this works is when the relay is not active(switch is off), the wire you cut is half for the motor is connected. then when you activate the switch it breaks that wire, which should cause the motor to move down. i am not entirely sure how the motor on you car is cuz it may not go down when you break that wire but this is a start. again, i am not entirely sure about your car, but this a general idea for one way of doing this. also, make sure you put a fuse(5 or 10 amp) on the wire that gets 12v that runs into the switch.
Old 02-21-2005, 12:17 AM
Synthead

vpuppy, I think you are right on. Most of my car's accessories is activated using +12v leads, so I think there's a shared one running through both. I work at an electronics shop where I have a readily accessible supply of gigantuous to miniscule switches, so as long as I put a good sized normally-on switch in there, I think I should be fine. It wouldn't hurt to but an arc-supressing circuit in there too.

In the meantime, I'm gonna dig around my car. I'm kind of sick of working on the electrical system for days and days, tinkering with my security, but I guess I wouldn't mind working a bit more on it. I know it might look kinda weird, but I have always wanted to do it so I kinda want to make it happen.
Old 02-22-2005, 09:34 PM
12yearhondatech

If You Turn The Head Lights Off And On Real Fast Several Times They Will Blink.
Old 03-06-2005, 07:10 PM
bo2o

ive seen it done on a supra

i want to try to do it to my 240sx it has sumthin to do wit relay

im trying to figure it outs...

ive made a lazy eye switch tho.. thats pretty cool

theres like a constant feed to the motor it works off a relay

so forshure you have to work with a relay

i been tryin to find this diy you should look at the miata forums too they have done this too