Notices

Auto -vs- Manual Prelude

Old 02-05-2004, 06:26 AM
Mr.Badguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Prelude00Red
just dont spend it on cheap parts - im sick of lookin at preludes that have cheap things on em....
:stands up and claps: I nominate this man for president of the United States!
Old 02-05-2004, 04:47 PM
Prelude00Red

Damn Right Im Runnin For President - **** The President Of Usa - I Wana Be President Of Preludes
Old 02-05-2004, 05:41 PM
ludeboom

Damn Right Im Runnin For President - **** The President Of Usa - I Wana Be President Of Preludes
that campaign will be nothing shy of a war
Old 02-05-2004, 10:59 PM
monkey

get the base - lower it - strut bars - sway bars - theres other things to do to handle your car for cheaper then 3 thousand (atts)

just dont spend it on cheap parts - im sick of lookin at preludes that have cheap things on em....
sway bars, LSD, new suspension, and all the labor/tuning to make it work should be about 3000 bucks...strut bars are only a necessity if you like to hang your laundry from them when you come back from the dry cleaners.

look into a nice set of brake pads and good tires too.
Old 02-08-2004, 04:34 PM
StreetAssassin

:yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay:
Old 02-08-2004, 05:07 PM
BlackShLude

yea i have a friend with a ss prelude i barely ever see him and he has cheap parts and altazzas. i look at my lude and it is just so beautiful compared to his. i drove 3 preludes before i bought mine (not including his) and i had to side with the sh, it truly does handle better than the base. i cant wait till winter is over and i put some springs and struts in my baby.
Old 02-10-2004, 08:15 AM
jc836

Is the 5 speed better than the 4 speed SS? Yes and no. Both have their advantages and yes both have weaknesses too. Both are very expensive to repair and a clutch can set you back over $700 at the dealership. The SS in my car works just as advertised (bought new 3/99). Shifts when told to in SS mode and I don't worry about it. Our race car has a 5 speed and it has 176,000 in it and runs like new. Both trannys are very good on track.
The big problem with the SS has been due to the way it handles torque. This tranny is a takeoff of the Tiptronic/F1 type gearbox-which is sequential; that means it goes thru the gears one by one regardless of what you tell it. The manual is immediate in its response to a gear change. Many failures of the SS can be attributed to "neutral dump" which is a real no-no. Some have failed for other reasons. Mine just works as advertised because I have cared for it for 33K according to the manual. Our other Hondas with 5 speeds get the same TLC too.
I will strongly recommend that if you really want a 5 speed-then trade for it. Why? Simple-resale value of a car with a swap is nill compared-yes the dealers and buyers can tell from the VIN. Otherwise, keep the car you have and enjoy it. I take mine to the track for HPDE and have a blast along with taking it for trips. THe SS is simply the best touring car I have ever owned-loves to go really quick on the interstate
Old 02-15-2004, 06:21 AM
oscarhmoyano

5 speed is always all about the fun and total control, sometimes yes you can get tired after 3 hours driving on I-95 and you wish that you have both, LOL ,but auto is just for people who doesn't care so much about driving and want just to transport themselves.
Well this is my opinion.
Oscar
Old 02-16-2004, 12:12 AM
PikkaGTR
Power of Dreams

Originally Posted by monkey
sway bars, LSD, new suspension, and all the labor/tuning to make it work should be about 3000 bucks...strut bars are only a necessity if you like to hang your laundry from them when you come back from the dry cleaners.

look into a nice set of brake pads and good tires too.
if strut bars really were meant to hang laundry on and not perform there job to strengthen up the chassis, auto manufacturers won't place them on their cars.....examples the type S bb6 in japan, the ITR, the STi, the EVO 1-8s
legends and cl's

some automatics are much much better at everything than manuals
i'm not a fan of ATs but i do give credit where credit is due
for example the SMG in the new M3 :naughty:
Old 02-16-2004, 09:54 AM
monkey

Originally Posted by PikkaGTR
if strut bars really were meant to hang laundry on and not perform there job to strengthen up the chassis, auto manufacturers won't place them on their cars.....examples the type S bb6 in japan, the ITR, the STi, the EVO 1-8s
legends and cl's

some automatics are much much better at everything than manuals
i'm not a fan of ATs but i do give credit where credit is due
for example the SMG in the new M3 :naughty:
i'm still of the opinion that strut tower bars are cosmetic. think about the location of a STB. right in front of the firewall. the most rigid part of the car's frame...

on top of that it's a unibody frame, AND it's a double wishbone suspension. i could see STB's maybe helping a little more with Macpherson Struts.

whatever the case, they're never worth the price that people pay for them.

Quick Reply: Auto -vs- Manual Prelude