Notices

cyl 3 random misfire after fixing EGR!?!

Old 01-03-2004, 11:04 AM
prelude97

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cyl 3 random misfire after fixing EGR!?!

I'm stumped on this one and was hoping someone here can help.

I just fixed my error code P0401 Exhaust Gas Recirculation Flow Insufficient Detected, turned out the intake was all carbon'd up and now everything checks out fine. Tests verify it's clear and working normally. (thanks for all the posts on this board)

Now, a day after fixing and resetting the code I get P0303 Cylinder 3 Misfire Detected. I guessed the carbon/gunk I cleaned out may have worked it's way to the valves of #3 which may cause the valve to stick open so I did a compression test on all 4 cyl and everthing checks out. All cyl were 5% of each other. So now I'm kind of stummped. Anyone have a guess what to look for next? I also looked at the wire resistance and they're good, also plug looks fine. I had the dist/cap/rotor/plugs replaced 10K ago so I'm guessing possibly fuel related.

Oh yeah I did one final test, I "broked" the EGR (by disconnecting the vacuum line to keep the valve closed) to see if misfire would still happen and it DOESNT! (I do get an EGR valve lift error). So the golden question is now the EGR is healthy and doing it's thing is there more demand for fuel/spark/compression/gas or something?

Thanks!