Notices

used motor for 88 prelude s

Old 12-25-2003, 03:57 PM
tjsidlo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default used motor for 88 prelude s

Is it worth the money to get a used engine put in an 88 prelude?
I've been quoted by a reputive dealer to the tune of 1200 to 1500.
Old 12-25-2003, 04:17 PM
Pelka
::..Prelude..::

If its your only transportation i would. :thumbup:
Old 12-25-2003, 08:35 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

That's not too bad of a price for a used engine and dealer installation.

You could get it done yourself for way cheaper though.
Old 12-26-2003, 06:21 AM
tjsidlo

I just took it down to the dealer and was told by them that there was no guaranty as to the condition of the used engine.
At this point I'm considering either selling it or waiting to gather together the money for a rebuilt engine.
They're in the process of assessing the damage but I was told by them 6 months ago that I had a beginning head gasket problem.
I have put a lot of money into the car and was happy with it , but at over 2,000 for a rebuilt engine I'm hesitant.
Old 12-26-2003, 06:13 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

If they will give you no warranty, screw that. Buy a junker longblock and put it in yourself.
Old 12-27-2003, 01:23 AM
tjsidlo

This a complicated story but the ending so far is a good one. As it turned out all I really needed was a hose.
I still have a head gasket problem but have lived with it for 6 months with no real inconvenience.
A week ago when the car overheated and smoked a bit from the engine I had it towed to my local gas/service station in order to see if it was something simple. Obviously I was hoping that it was only a hose. Unfortunately the Honda dealer was closed for the weekend.
Since I was'nt able to be there for the diagnosis the situation got worse. After I arrived I was told the car now would not start and they still could'nt determine where the fluid was leaking. I found that they had a difficult time starting the car initially and the key was stuck in the ignition.
When I contacted the dealer I was informed by a couple of the techs that I would be better off junking the car. After talking with the owner(who through the years I trusted) I decided to get a new ignition switch and hose which I was informed was necessary just to see about engine damage.
Old 12-27-2003, 01:33 AM
tjsidlo

This a complicated story but the ending so far is a good one. As it turned out all I really needed was a hose.
I still have a head gasket problem but have lived with it for 6 months with no real inconvenience.
A week ago when the car overheated and smoked a bit from the engine I had it towed to my local gas/service station in order to see if it was something simple. Obviously I was hoping that it was only a hose. Unfortunately the Honda dealer was closed for the weekend.
Since I was'nt able to be there for the diagnosis the situation got worse. After I arrived I was told the car now would not start and they still could'nt determine where the fluid was leaking. I found that they had a difficult time starting the car initially and the key was stuck in the ignition.
When I contacted the dealer I was informed by a couple of the techs that I would be better off junking the car. After talking with the owner(who through the years I trusted) I decided to get a new ignition switch and hose which I was informed was necessary just to see about engine damage.
After the suggested expense it turns out that the car still runs well and the head gasket is still in the initial stage.
It seems that the moral of the story is to never take a prelude anywhere but a trusted expert. This would probably have saved me from a new starter and a whole lot of agravation.
As we all know how happy we are when a lost pet is found, that is how I feel getting my "declared dead" prelude back.
Old 03-17-2004, 08:09 PM
bigt61

as for the NEW engine idea, swap to FUEL INJECTED b20A for about 1500...... better engine... less probs.