Notices

has anybody used...

Old 12-25-2003, 07:24 AM
batmanlude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default has anybody used...

have any of you guys been able to get away with using H&R race springs or Nuespeed race springs or any other spring that drops more then 2 inches without having to use a camber kit and still having your wheels sit straight?
Old 12-25-2003, 08:11 AM
prelude1897

Just get a set of coilovers or coilover sleeves and you should be fine. You're beable to set your own height on your car.....
Old 12-26-2003, 09:47 PM
batmanlude

I was told that coil overs or sleeves make the ride very bouncey??
Old 12-27-2003, 10:25 AM
jc836

Bouncy-like stiff? Yes that can happen BUT it depends on the spring rates that YOU select. Both Ground Control and Skunk offer kits with different rates. Keep in mind that "race" springs are linear in their rate compared to "sport" springs which are progressive (somewhat softer) in their rates. We have Neuspeed Sport springs on the 'Lude and they work really well both on road and track.
It is not the sleeve that causes the stiff ride-it is the springs and shocks. We use nothing but Koni so I have no experience with another brand. You need to decide what the car is to be used for, the kind of roads you will be driving on and finally the look you are trying to achieve. Last-there is absolutely NO WAY to know for sure if you will need Camber Kits UNTIL you have dropped the car and get it on an alignment machine. You will have to do this anyway to restore the Toe-in, which really reduces tire life alot along with gas mileage.

Happy New Year
Old 12-27-2003, 06:44 PM
batmanlude

I dont race my lude or autocross. I jsut want it to be low and look good. I dont need fancy suspension. And Im confused. You say that no matter wut u will need cambr if u want good gas mileage? Explain?
Old 12-28-2003, 03:34 AM
monkey

you have much to learn batman.

after you lower your car you MUST GET IT ALIGNED, unless you don't give a shit about your tires. or ride quality.

camber kits aren't always necessary.
Old 12-28-2003, 04:21 AM
batmanlude

yea I know u must get it aligned, but I thought that jc was saying I need a camber kit no matter what if I am to have decent gas mileage or proper toe in. I was jsut wondering if any of you fellow luders have been able to use one of the drops mentoined above without having o use a camber kit and only a realignement. Basically I have 18s and I want as large as a drop as possible without having to use a camber kit only a realignment. That is basically what I am trying to ask here.
Old 12-28-2003, 10:37 AM
DelSolSIinMD
Le Grand Illusion

Here's what I've heard - it depends on the setup and the car. Sometimes people can drop 2.5" and not need a camber kit - that is, their suspension is still close enough to spec or in spec so that it doesn't chew up tires like crazy.

On the other hand, I've heard of (and known) people who only dropped it like .75" or 1" and had their camber go crazy, and needed a kit.

Some people say go ahead and get the camber kit just to be sure, so you don't wear out tires every 5K miles... others say don't get it until you're sure you need it. So it depends on the situation.
Old 12-28-2003, 04:05 PM
monkey

Originally posted by batmanlude
yea I know u must get it aligned, but I thought that jc was saying I need a camber kit no matter what if I am to have decent gas mileage or proper toe in. I was jsut wondering if any of you fellow luders have been able to use one of the drops mentoined above without having o use a camber kit and only a realignement. Basically I have 18s and I want as large as a drop as possible without having to use a camber kit only a realignment. That is basically what I am trying to ask here.
camber kits have nothing to do with "toe-in"

basically if you get an alignment and you have 0 toe you might be ok without worrying about camber wear. 2" drop sounds like it'd be ok and u won't need a camber kit. then again each car is different.
Old 12-28-2003, 11:30 PM
batmanlude

you say each car is different but that same springs in too diff 5th gen preludes will have the same effect am i right?