Notices

in this thread.. i will post photos i've taken

Old 10-05-2009, 03:41 PM
Draconius
BAZINGA!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by XScarAudio
For learning exposure: Best tips I have..

1. Set your ISO as low as possible. This gives you the least grainy photo
2. Any shutter speed lower than about 100 is more likely to be too slow for you to hold it without a tripod. As you practice, you might be able to get lower. I can shoot at about 40 without a tripod on a good day, but it's easier to bump the ISO one level.
3. Learn w/ your aperture all the way down. most of the time, from your shots, you'll want the blurred background of the lowest number aperture you have.
4. 1 stop down in aperture = 1 step up in shutter speed. This is helpful if you want motion blur (example, moving wheels of a car, etc). You want the shutter open longer without over-exposing.

Any questions, feel free to ask. A lot of us on here know the technical stuff pretty well. In the end, don't be afraid to take the same shot 10 different times with different settings and compare. The data is always in the 'properties' of the photo, or EXIF data and you can see afterwards what the changes did.
Your numbers pretty high. I was taught 60 is about the end of the hand hold photo range. I can get to around 25 hand held before tripod is really needed.
Old 10-05-2009, 03:57 PM
XScarAudio
///o\\\///o\\\

Originally Posted by Draconius
Your numbers pretty high. I was taught 60 is about the end of the hand hold photo range. I can get to around 25 hand held before tripod is really needed.
I agree with you for static images and I have to remember that most people shoot that way. I shoot models 99% of the time and many can't stand still to save their life. But you're right. 60 is very fair for most and if I'm shooting cars, nature, etc. I can shoot a much longer exposure hand-held.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:55 PM
dubcac
I

Good shit man!
Old 10-06-2009, 07:43 AM
jaymar88
HA.net Workout Krew

Yeah.. depending on what your shooting, to minimize handheld blur, minimum shutter speed should be correlative to your focal length.. eg: 50mm --> 1/50 sec shutter
Old 10-06-2009, 04:24 PM
sinthetiq

Originally Posted by jaymar88
Yeah.. depending on what your shooting, to minimize handheld blur, minimum shutter speed should be correlative to your focal length.. eg: 50mm --> 1/50 sec shutter
good to know!
Old 10-10-2009, 12:07 PM
scotttharobot
beer here

Originally Posted by jaymar88
*splitting hairs*

but, due to the crop factor, 50mm = 75mm (on Nikon) so at least 1/75 is appropriate.

/splitting hairs