Notices

A birdhouse and a butterfly

Old 08-14-2004, 04:51 PM
axemansean

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A birdhouse and a butterfly

I know I am not the best photographer, so please comment on this so I can learn how to be a better photographer.
Old 08-15-2004, 01:00 PM
honda_pilot
DeeCeeFo'

The butterfly photo is actually good IMO. The birdhouse photo seems like a snapshot picture. Before just seeing something you wanna take a picture of, walk around it. Look under, above, left, right, everywhere. Your eyes are great viewfinders. Then when a certain angle looks most interesting to you through your eyes try to capture this in the picture. You get more emotion and a sense of presence from this technique.

The reason I say this is because, there is an ugly chain-link fence in the background. But overall, nice pics.
Old 08-15-2004, 03:57 PM
Nightshade
un-Touch'd krew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the butterfly shot also but it is a bit too centered for my taste. An off centered crop would help it a bit.

The birdhouse suffers from lack of interesting subject. Technically it is a good shot but again it is a centered image which rarely if ever works to draw the eye into it.
Old 08-29-2004, 05:09 PM
b00gers

Butterfly: With a subject like an insect, I think "the closer, the better". I know that is not always possible though. And like John said, it is too centered. I live by the "Rule of Thirds" h:

Birdhouse: Doesnt look interesting. I mean might have looked better if it wasn't so sunny at the moment. The high sun really offsets the mood that the birdhouse gives. And what the heck is that big fat vertical line in the way. You have to remember, when you are walking by and looking at it, it may not seem like a big deal because you can just walk around to get it out of view. But you can't exactly do that with a photograph.