Notices
Parts Classifieds Non-commercial posts only.

WTB or Want to Hire help install suspension and brakes in MI

Old 05-08-2006, 09:27 AM
ezekel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WTB or Want to Hire help install suspension and brakes in MI

well i tried installing my springs and shocks by myself today and it didn't go to well, so calling around shops they want 250 parts and 275 labor just for fronts

im looking for somebody or bodys to help me install my shocks springs pads and rotors, obviously i'll pay you.. with drinks and food and $$$

im located in oakland county MI any help is greatly appriciated
Old 05-08-2006, 11:56 AM
ADRONICUS
www.ufc.com

Originally Posted by ezekel
well i tried installing my springs and shocks by myself today and it didn't go to well, so calling around shops they want 250 parts and 275 labor just for fronts

im looking for somebody or bodys to help me install my shocks springs pads and rotors, obviously i'll pay you.. with drinks and food and $$$

im located in oakland county MI any help is greatly appriciated
Where did the install go wrong? What got messed up. Trouble unloading the stock spring? Did you strip some bolts? Did some break?
Old 05-08-2006, 06:34 PM
ezekel

the hardest part was figuring out how to work the autozone spring compressor, removing the 14mm pinch bolt, and moving the brake rotor up and down to reattach the 17mm bolt on the fork.

don't get me wrong, im not giving up, tomorrow im going to go at it again its just i've never done it myself, i just read the DIY's from here and HT my friend is coming over tomorrow to try and hlep

the most difficult part was the 14mm pinch bolt. living in rain and snow that bolt was stuck on there, and wouldn't budge even with pb blaster. then the spring compressor, i have to find one where i know how to use it.
Old 05-08-2006, 08:08 PM
03rsx-s

Originally Posted by ezekel
the hardest part was figuring out how to work the autozone spring compressor, removing the 14mm pinch bolt, and moving the brake rotor up and down to reattach the 17mm bolt on the fork.

don't get me wrong, im not giving up, tomorrow im going to go at it again its just i've never done it myself, i just read the DIY's from here and HT my friend is coming over tomorrow to try and hlep

the most difficult part was the 14mm pinch bolt. living in rain and snow that bolt was stuck on there, and wouldn't budge even with pb blaster. then the spring compressor, i have to find one where i know how to use it.
14mm bolt on top? You need a allen wrench insert that into the bolt and then turn it with a regular wrench.

to move the hub/rotor assembly down I reccomend taht you jack up the whole car, so both sides are in the air, it makes it much easier.

spring compressor is easy, you put it inside the spring so it grabs on one coil on top and one on bottom. Then you screw it it in until it compresses and puts the springs together. When taking off the stock spring off you only need to compress it so it grabs, don't go lower. This is done so that the spring doesn't shoot off.

read this article
http://www.team-integra.net/sections...?ArticleID=494

its very helpfull
Old 05-09-2006, 06:15 AM
ezekel

see i have used spring compressors before, but usually the ones i have used come in a pair. the autozone one was a long threaded rod with 2 hooks coming off of it about 2 in from the bottom...its hard to explain and the instructions was torn off the box..so i just returned it.

the 14mm bolt right on the front shock fork
Old 05-09-2006, 06:39 AM
03rsx-s

all spring compressors come in pairs, you need to compress the spring from both sides, or it'll bend.

removing the bolt is hard, but not impossible, get a breaker bar, and lift the car up from the axle, that way its easier to get it out.

the whole process is 100x easier if you have air tools. in teh time you do 1 shock w/o them, you'll be able to do the whole car with them.
Old 05-09-2006, 07:36 AM
g290ls
they call me tater salad

check out www.team-integra.net they have lots of resourceful info to help you out
Old 05-09-2006, 10:06 AM
ezekel

ok thanks for all the advice and encouragement now i think you should answer my question on air tools that I will be posting in a second after this one gets closed
Old 05-09-2006, 11:59 AM
ADRONICUS
www.ufc.com

The spring compressors from autozone suck and hard to use, then they get stuck when your trying to get them off and sometimes you cannot even get them between the coils. Use cargo straps instead. Buy two and place on both sides and evenly crank until the spring compresses enough to undo the retainer up top. In end you have 2 cargo straps left over for other uses.