Notices
On Topic Serious discussion and debate. No nonsense will be tolerated.

Should the Gov bail out the big 3?

Old 11-20-2008, 05:50 PM
ISP James
DAMIMRED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hitman619
Perfect time to get rid of the unions also:yes:
+1

IMO the UAW has single handedly destroyed the big 3.

if we can get rid of them, maybe restructure and then say "these are the terms we will re-hire your slugs on, take it or leave it"

that could save the big 3 so much money and finally give them a chance to be competitive with the other global majors, ie honda, toyota, nissan, vw that somehow dont seem to need to beg anybody for bailout loans.

furthermore, i think the board of directors for all 3 companies needs to fire from the top down and give their replacements incentive based income.

we pay you a base of (insert reasonable income here) with STRONG performance based incentives... post x profit, get 1 mil bonus, etc. watch how fast they manage to turn the companies around.
Old 11-20-2008, 06:44 PM
Bumnah
So OG it hurts.

Electric vehicle. I'm sorry but that is not going to solve our "energy independence". GM had an electric vehicle in the early 90s, and they scratched it. In fact the ones they sold, they forced the owners to return it to them. No one is pushing electrical because that can't solve our problems. Can you have an electric 18 wheeler? Nope. Take a look at the diesel offerings by the Germans that's more impressive. 50+ mph with performance, and it's clean.

It took them forever to go to a global car platform. A car that could be made in any of their factories over the world. The big three a fat and bloated, slow to respond. They treated their employees like crap; then the unions started. Now the unions are strong and strangling the big 3. They can't even fix that problem.

I can't even figure out why Buick is still around. Who the hell buys these cars?

Put your pride aside, cut down on your spending, shrink as a company. Make quality cars.

I wouldn't of given it to the banks, I def. wouldn't of given it to the big 3. Thanks for screwing it up fellas.
-----
Old 11-20-2008, 07:27 PM
Joe

Originally Posted by Bumnah
Electric vehicle. I'm sorry but that is not going to solve our "energy independence". GM had an electric vehicle in the early 90s, and they scratched it. In fact the ones they sold, they forced the owners to return it to them. No one is pushing electrical because that can't solve our problems. Can you have an electric 18 wheeler? Nope. Take a look at the diesel offerings by the Germans that's more impressive. 50+ mph with performance, and it's clean.

It took them forever to go to a global car platform. A car that could be made in any of their factories over the world. The big three a fat and bloated, slow to respond. They treated their employees like crap; then the unions started. Now the unions are strong and strangling the big 3. They can't even fix that problem.

I can't even figure out why Buick is still around. Who the hell buys these cars?

Put your pride aside, cut down on your spending, shrink as a company. Make quality cars.

I wouldn't of given it to the banks, I def. wouldn't of given it to the big 3. Thanks for screwing it up fellas.
I agree.

GM is just too big, they really don't need that many brands. Especially when a lot of their cars are slightly modified versions of their other cars sold under a different brand. ie: chevy aveo and pontiac wave

Plus GM is shit quality. They make cars that don't last long because it fits the American way of getting tired of something quick and buying something else after only a few years.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:18 AM
Anthony
ZOMG Pew Pew Laserbeams

Damn the Japanese, look at this CEO:

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/bus...eo.pay.cut.cnn
Old 11-21-2008, 09:55 AM
ShaolinLueb

Originally Posted by dubcac
Yes, otherwise this country's economy may not recover for a very long time. If millions of more people lose their jobs, we are going to be in a world of hurt. IMO, the bailout money should come with some government oversight of what the company spends it on.
the big 3 i remember supply up to 30 million jobs or something. that is not counting all the other companies who make supplies and they contract parts out too. thats a lot of jobs.

as for UAW. back in teh 1900-1930's there strong arm tactics were accepted because the companies treated their employee's like shit. now the union uses the big 3 as their bitches.

someone on this board has/had a father who worked as a janitor and he made 50 an hour or something ridiculous.
Old 11-21-2008, 10:22 AM
Nightshade
un-Touch'd krew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ShaolinLueb
the big 3 i remember supply up to 30 million jobs or something. that is not counting all the other companies who make supplies and they contract parts out too. thats a lot of jobs.

as for UAW. back in teh 1900-1930's there strong arm tactics were accepted because the companies treated their employee's like shit. now the union uses the big 3 as their bitches.

someone on this board has/had a father who worked as a janitor and he made 50 an hour or something ridiculous.
If they file chapter 11 it does not close the doors or stop production it just gives them a break in order to do reorganization and take steps to streamline operations.
Old 11-27-2008, 11:56 AM
azn_redneck
Live Free Or Die

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I vote Chapter 11, with government loans after to restructure. Also fire all the executive management with $0 severence pay.
Old 11-27-2008, 02:08 PM
ShaolinLueb

Originally Posted by Nightshade
If they file chapter 11 it does not close the doors or stop production it just gives them a break in order to do reorganization and take steps to streamline operations.
i just saw the chapter 11. the government wants a plan from the big 3 before loaning then 25 billion. i mean. they loaned the banks 700 billion no questions asked.
Old 11-27-2008, 03:42 PM
ISP James
DAMIMRED

Originally Posted by azn_redneck
I vote Chapter 11, with government loans after to restructure. Also fire all the executive management with $0 severence pay.
+1

as for "well they gave the banks 700 bil..."

not exactly... 700 bil was alloted for bailout, the big 3 wanted 25 of that 700

and just the same, i think the gov't saw how useless the financials were even after the bailout and are going to reconsider the criteria that the recipients must meet. funny isnt it, the gov't of all organizations can restructure a 700 bil bailout plan just like that and the big 3 cant pull their wallet out of their pocket without having corporate propositions... GM actually said that their corporate policy states that for 'security reasons' their CEO must travel in a private jet.
Old 11-27-2008, 03:51 PM
A-series
v-card member alpha

Originally Posted by azn_redneck
Indeed.

May have been said before on pg. 1, but someone suggested a salary cap of ~$400k a year. I think that is totally fair, if you need millions before you'll consider managing, overseeing, etc. a company, than it's clearly about the money and not giving a shit about the long-term future of the company or it's employees.