Notices
On Topic Serious discussion and debate. No nonsense will be tolerated.

Beer and America

Old 09-23-2008, 01:34 PM
canada

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beer and America

After this article... thoughts?

A lot of the world sees itself as Americanized. From television shows to dining selections all the way to beer brands. It is simply an inescapable part of globalization. However, the brands that everyone identifies as American such as Budweiser, Coors and Miller, simply aren’t American anymore. If you want to enjoy a cool, crisp, refreshing beer on a hot Florida summer day with some friends, you better be reaching for a true American beer; a microbrew.

Apple pie, Uncle Sam, baseball and the Budweiser Clydesdales. All of these images bring to mind the American symbol. Budweiser has been brewed in America since the late 1800’s, after being notoriously stolen from a local brewer in the now Czech Republic, and has been viewed as the American beer ever since. It is one of the top selling brands in the world, with huge market shares in Canada, Mexico, South America, Germany, Japan and even Russia. The global branding of this product has made super mass produced, watered down beer, available to the world and it is viewed more than one would think as a reflection on American ideals. The problem lies in this; Budweiser isn’t even owned by an American company.

As of early 2008 Budweiser sold the majority of its stock to a company in Belgium named InBev. This was a major move since it took the chief decision making out of America, where this brand has been since its inception. The predicament is that Budweiser isn’t the only brand to do this. Coors is another popular macro American brand. It has been one of the largest brewers in the American market for years, and was also one of the largest brewers in the UK as well. However, in 2004 they sold their majority share to a group out of Canada named Molson. A similar story is presented with Miller, who sold their entire operation to a company out of South Africa just a few years ago as well. These brands still all display the wholesome American reflection in their marketing, displaying flags and Patriotism so Americans and other followers will purchase these beverages with the intent of, more or less, being a better person by supporting the home team.

So what does one who likes beer, who wants to be patriotic and support the American economy at the same time do? Enter micro brewing. Names like Bell’s from Kalamazoo, Michigan, Shipyard from Portland, Maine and Dogfish Head from Delaware dominate the craft beer market. Majority owned by American financiers and operated in the United States, these brands are the true American beers. Most have been started by the simple beer aficionado, with an idea to make what he enjoys better than the next guy, and his internal obligation to share its success with his neighbors. Not only are these truly American beers, crafted in America, but they simply taste better. So much more attention to detail is allowed because of the small nature of these breweries that you end up with a superior product. Hops dance lightly on your palate, barley entices your nose and the rich, golden or amber colors are a delight to look at. Even though they aren’t always available all over the country, the idea of this underground beer society unites all the people brave enough to branch off the normal mass advertised brand and try something new for themselves.

The big brands will never go away and they will always be looked at as the American icons the world over. Nevertheless, the next time someone mentions that they would prefer to drink a Budweiser, or a Miller or Coors product because this is America and Americans should drink real American beer, declare to them that if they truly wanted to be a good citizen, they would throw that feeble excuse for excellence away, and grab a real beer from the good ole USA.
Old 09-23-2008, 03:01 PM
lowbrow
12:00AM Atlanta time...

Nice article - I enjoyed the read. I don't really have a particular brand as beer is so damned expensive here I drink whatever the hell is on sale! But I do love moosehead products. But Atlantic Canada has some really good micro brewers here as well. The best I have yet to taste is brewed by Hunter's Ale House in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island. Really excellent beer. But they don't put any perservatives in it, so it is sold locally - 90% of it is draft, they bottle a little.
Old 09-23-2008, 03:12 PM
k3ifers
k three ifers

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

bud was sold this year, it has always been american, it's still brewed in america, it's the same beer.. i'll still call it american. i want to try their new "american ale".

i'm a big fan of microbrews, but i don't like to be that guy who tries to be cool by making fun of what people drink.
Old 09-23-2008, 04:52 PM
DarkStarr
Shake n Bake!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like Rolling Rock, is that American?
Old 09-23-2008, 09:08 PM
useless
i like cheese

I remember laughing when i read about bud being sold to a company in Belgium.
never drank that crap anyway, Newcastle ftw.
If was wanted American beer i usually went with Redhook or Anchor Steam.
Old 09-24-2008, 12:35 PM
canada

I tried the American Ale, not a fan of it really at all.
Old 09-27-2008, 07:07 AM
ShaolinLueb

i used to drink miller a lot. now its all stella artois, spaten, or beck's.