Notices
On Topic Serious discussion and debate. No nonsense will be tolerated.

What makes people vote Republican?

Old 09-13-2008, 07:40 AM
benjamin
Stuff and things.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What makes people vote Republican?

What makes people vote Republican? Why in particular do working class and rural Americans usually vote for pro-business Republicans when their economic interests would seem better served by Democratic policies? We psychologists have been examining the origins of ideology ever since Hitler sent us Germany's best psychologists, and we long ago reported that strict parenting and a variety of personal insecurities work together to turn people against liberalism, diversity, and progress. But now that we can map the brains, genes, and unconscious attitudes of conservatives, we have refined our diagnosis: conservatism is a partially heritable personality trait that predisposes some people to be cognitively inflexible, fond of hierarchy, and inordinately afraid of uncertainty, change, and death. People vote Republican because Republicans offer "moral clarity"—a simple vision of good and evil that activates deep seated fears in much of the electorate. Democrats, in contrast, appeal to reason with their long-winded explorations of policy options for a complex world.
The full piece is at http://www.edge.org/3rd_culture/haid...t08_index.html

The author is an associate professor of psychology at UVA.
Old 09-13-2008, 08:22 AM
DarkStarr
Shake n Bake!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Or we vote Republican because our views don't align with the Democrats..
Old 09-13-2008, 12:34 PM
white_n_slow
it's my D in a B

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by benjamin
The author is an associate professor of psychology at UVA.
...with a degree in bologna. Although I do think that a lot of conservatives are closed minded and lacking in empathy, they're not scared idiots.

For years my parents voted republican because they believed in republican fiscal policy and policy towards business (they owned a small window company). Although the pro-business aspect is still there, the fiscal responsibility isn't.
Old 09-13-2008, 01:00 PM
bluetwo
Relevance is irrelevant

Intelligence. Democrats do not have it.

That's me half joking, half not giving a sh!t BTW.

Last edited by bluetwo; 09-13-2008 at 01:31 PM.
Old 09-13-2008, 06:01 PM
Anthony
ZOMG Pew Pew Laserbeams

Originally Posted by bluetwo
Intelligence. Democrats do not have it.

That's me half joking, half not giving a sh!t BTW.
Yeah cause all democrats are dumb and republicans aren't Both camps have retards, grossly generalizing it just proves that you fall into what you yourself called lack of intelligence.
Old 09-13-2008, 06:12 PM
bluetwo
Relevance is irrelevant

Originally Posted by Anthony
Yeah cause all democrats are dumb and republicans aren't Both camps have retards, grossly generalizing it just proves that you fall into what you yourself called lack of intelligence.
No, that's you not even seeing that I put I was joking and not giving a shit.

All you are doing is looking for somebody to try to insult from your keyboard. Big man you are!

Any half smart person would be able to see that the reason I put that is because I'm sick of the debate.
Old 09-13-2008, 09:00 PM
Anthony
ZOMG Pew Pew Laserbeams

So what if you were joking? How would you like it if I bashed a party for being dumb without backing it up with substance? Then hey I could say I was joking, but the comment would still be stupid.
Old 09-13-2008, 09:41 PM
bluetwo
Relevance is irrelevant

Ok well, I made a joke and you tried to insult my intelligence. Which one of us was more wrong? Is that the point you're making?

Believe me that I feel strongly about having good politicians but the debates have gone way beyond sane IMO. I found that study they did to be pretty senseless so I posted a senseless reply in return. That certainly doesn't make me unintelligent.
Old 09-13-2008, 10:16 PM
Anthony
ZOMG Pew Pew Laserbeams

Originally Posted by bluetwo
Ok well, I made a joke and you tried to insult my intelligence. Which one of us was more wrong? Is that the point you're making?

Believe me that I feel strongly about having good politicians but the debates have gone way beyond sane IMO. I found that study they did to be pretty senseless so I posted a senseless reply in return. That certainly doesn't make me unintelligent.
You insulted the intelligence of a group of people, half joking or not you still meant part of it. I'm just pointing out making fun of a group of people who believe in something is just as stupid as anyone else making fun of another group of people that believe in something else. Just because people's belief's don't align doesn't make them stupid or less than any other group. If you found the study senseless then say it, why post an idiotic reply?
Old 09-14-2008, 12:16 AM
spanky
I go duffy on dem bitches

Because I'd rather not see my tax dollars fund government programs whose sole purpose is to perpetuate the poor's living off of those same programs.