Notices
On Topic Serious discussion and debate. No nonsense will be tolerated.

College final paper. Need your guys quick response to couple questions

Old 04-25-2008, 07:02 AM
smartamar11

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post College final paper. Need your guys quick response to couple questions

Hi all, i'm in a comp class this semester and decided to do my final paper on street racing. I decided what better place to get good sources than you guys!!! So just got a couple of questions.

If there were more racetracks around your area, would you be willing to pay a little ($20) to go racing there instead of on the street?

Do you think racing on the street is better or more preferable to at a track?

Would you like it if racing was more organized in the sense that there were given places to go race, it was more common, easier to get together. etc.? Or do you think it would take away from it?

Thanks Guys
Old 04-25-2008, 07:26 AM
e3NiNe
#CustomUserTitle

In all seriousness, racing should be on a track. "Street racing" is not only dangerous, but illegal. Take Nick Bollea (Hogan) as a prime example.

I've never seen or witnessed organized street racing (like the movies). The only time I've seen something like this happen was by coincidence at a red light.

Ex.
Jackass in the left lane = BMW M3
Asshat in the right lane = Mustang Cobra
In attempt to compensate for their penis size, they both floor it.

Situations like this happen quite a bit actually.
Old 04-25-2008, 08:52 AM
Grifter

composition or computer? and i will assume you are referring to drag racing

they actually did that here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irwindale_Speedway
1/8 mile drag racing is presented at this facility as well. The strip opened on September 29, 2001. In 2003, in cooperation with local law enforcement, Irwindale Speedway opened its own dragstrip and hosts legal drag races for street legal cars, trucks, and motorcycles. The dragstrip is proud to extinguish the "nowhere else to go" excuse used by illegal street racers, and local police often hand out flyers to offenders for free entry into drag races at the dragstrip to promote safe racing.
sure its 1/8 but it provides a legit outlet for this type of thing and i believe it still goes on every thursday nite. ive never been there

then theres the california speedway
i was there for the first street drags and the staff (mostly middle aged white people) was very nice and accomodating. this is in contrast to the pomona speedway which at the time is where we went for legal drag racing before california speedway. the pomona staff were usually very curt, often rude, and condescending and they only opened to amateurs i think once every couple of months or so. now that i think about it that may have contributed to the street drag alternative.

there is something about a timeslip which makes the experience more memorable, especially if you are keep track to improve your times thru car modifications and human skill

but if you asked me 12 years ago i wouldve said something like "im a street racer fo life!" that probably says something about my maturity level back then and of those wtih similar interests
the sense of danger (mostly fear from law enforcement) is a thrilling experience, meeting new people, checking out what other people have done with their cars - all of these contribute to younger people participating in illegal street racing.